*3*

It isn't as awkward as they get into Louis' car to head towards the bar. Liam sits in the passenger seat in front of him, which he had done purposefully to lessen the chance of making eye contact with him, which he has been trying to do all day. Harry is pressed to his side, Niall on the other side of him and they make enough conversation that Zayn doesn't have to pipe in. And as much as Harry teases him for taking so long to get comfortable in social situations, he deflects the conversation when it is geared towards Zayn easily.

The bar is packed already when they arrive, clusters of people standing outside as they smoke and the crowds of people inside can be seen from the large windows surrounding the entrance.

"We were at this one last week," Louis says as he pulls into a parking spot behind the bar. He glares at Liam. "When you refused to come with us."

"Was busy," Zayn can hear Liam mutter, though it is quiet. "Can't fuck about with you guys every night."

"It was your birthday celebration," Louis says, shutting off the engine. "So get wasted tonight, it is way overdue."

Liam grumbles something incoherent as they all get out of the car. It was a bad idea to sit behind Liam he realizes as he steps out, making eye contact with the man. Liam rips his eyes away instantly before taking off towards the bar, the night doing little to hide the flush in his cheeks. Zayn stares at him for a moment, watching the way he messes the sandy brown curls at the top of his head before he follows behind.

Niall throws an arm around his shoulders as they make their way inside, lips pressing to his ear to be heard over the music that bumps loudly.

"Thanks for coming out with us," he yells. "First drink on me."

Zayn itches at the scruff on his jaw, eyeing the bright red of Niall's cheeks. "I'm driving, remember?"

Niall shrugs like this isn't a big deal, turning them to head towards the bar. "One drink won't hurt, mate. We will be here for awhile."

"Oh um, okay," Zayn murmurs, hoping his grin doesn't feel as awkward as it feels. He knows Niall is trying to make him feel comfortable with a cool smile on his face, and Zayn can't tell him that it isn't the bar that is making him feel awkward, but the tension in Liam's jaw whenever he is around.

"Harry was right, you and Liam will get along well."

"What?" Zayn practically barks at him, his head whipping around to look at Niall.

Niall laughs loudly, face reddening and eyes clenching closed as he squeezes his hold around Zayn's shoulder. "You remind me of him. Everyone knows Tommo and I, but Liam is like the calm to our storm, if you know what I mean."

Zayn doesn't know what he means, but Niall only claps him on the cheek before letting him go and pushing through the crowd huddled around the bar.

He squeezes into Niall's side, hand gripping his elbow to make sure he doesn't order him something that won't kill his liver after half a sip. Relief fills him when Niall presses a beer bottle into his hand, a grin on his lips before he waves towards the bartender again.

"It's probably gross."

Zayn looks over his shoulder, stiffening some when his eyes slide over Liam. He is only a few inches away, attempting to squeeze past him to get to Niall. The expression on his face is unreadable before he looks away to say something to Niall.

+*

"I think he hates me."

Harry's brows furrow as he leans against the bar, elbows winged out. He glances around before looking back at Zayn. "Who? The bartender?"