Chapter:11

I watched as the two bull riders drove away. They were heading to the airport. Why they didn't stay until this afternoon to leave I have no clue. I asked Toby if he took care of my horses that night I came in late and he told me he didn't. I knew JB wouldn't of done it so I'm guessing Mason was the one to carry me to the house and to bed.

He was a really sweet guy and I've learned a lot about him. As he drove away he also had a piece of something I wouldn't be able to get back if I tried. I wanted to see him again. Watch him ride bulls. But I still had my own life that my brother was in and he could come back to.

"Zoe the horses are loaded. We've got to make Amarillo by morning." I turned back and grabbed my bags before walking to the truck. I threw them into the back and got in. "Amarillo by morning down from Wyandotte." I sang.

"Oh hush. You wish we were in San Anton." Toby smirked. I giggled. We stopped in Elk City for lunch before going the rest of the way to Amarillo. As soon as we reached the fair grounds I was out and unloading my horses. My green horse and advanced horse stood perfectly still. I brushed them down before going to sign in.

As soon as green horse was called I was in the ring. Gizmo shied as we passed this one man. I glanced around at other riders and horses seeing the other horses shying too. As soon as a group of us went by the man again he fired a gun. Gizmo completely freaked. While I was trying to calm my horse I looked down seeing blood pouring from my right knee.

I got Giz under control and ran for the exit. The paramedics we already tending to someone who had a sprained ankle. "Please help me." I said. The paramedics stopped working on the person and got me off my horse. They cut my jeans open seeing the wound. Then put me in the ambulance. I could see my brother running towards the vehicle. I sent him a text. 'Take care of my horses before going to the hospital.'

He sent me an ok before grabbing Gizmo. A vet was already checking out his right side. If that man hurt my horse I'll kill him for hurting him. I was already loopy and sedated my the time I got to the hospital.

Mason

I sat in the airport in Amarillo waiting to see if my flight would be delayed anymore. I finally gave up on sitting in the seat near the gate and went to the bathroom. As I entered my phone started ringing.

I looked down to seeToby calling. I answered. "Hello?"
"Mason. Are you anywhere close to Amarillo?" He asked. "Yeah. I'm still at the airport waiting to board my flight." I said. "Could you go over the BSA hospital and check on Zoe. Some guy shot at the group of riders and the bullet hit her bad knee. Gizmo's fine he's not hurt but she told me to stay with her horses.

"Their all freaking out about it. The guy is still loose. Several of the competitors gave a detailed description of the guy." He said sounding freaked out. "Dude. Calm down. I'll be over there soon. Stay with the horses. I'll watch her for you then we can switch off." I said.

I grabbed my bag and ran for a cab. As soon as I got to the hospital I asked for Zoe Mosin. "Are you family?" A nurse asked. "Family friend. Her brother asked for me to come her for him." I said. "Have a seat. She was taken straight into knee surgery to remove the bullet." The nurse said.

I grabbed my bag and sat down in a chair to wait. There's no telling how long I sat in the chair. A doctor came out and said her name. I stood up. Then walked over to him. "The surgery went well. We recovered the bulled and repaired her knee. I'd suggest that if she was to do anything outdoors such as ride a horse. I'd talk to a joint specialist before doing so.

"She'll be on crutches for six months and will be taking a pain killer." He said. I nodded. "Ok I will give the information to the family. Is she allowed to have visitors?" I asked.

He told me which room and the visitor hours. I went straight to the room. On the way I called Toby letting him know what happened. He said he couldn't be there until later. I entered the room and looked at the bed. She was asleep. Her knee was in a cast. I could only imagine how it felt after the adrenaline wore off.

I sat down in a chair near the bed. I started dozing just a few seconds after resting my head on my fist. Every single time she shifted I opened my eyes to look at her. I finally gave up around ten and went to change out of my jeans. As I came back I saw her trying to sit up. "Hey. How are you feeling?" I asked her.

She looked shocked to see me. "Your brother called to see if I was close by." I said. "My plane had yet to leave the airport when he called." She tried to reach for a cup. I hurried to the side and handed her the cup out of her reach. She drank it all within seconds. "Is Gizmo ok?" She asked. "He's fine. Just a little spooked but unhurt. Toby and a vet made sure that Gizmo was unhurt." I told her.

"Why don't you get some more rest. I'll be here until Toby can be here." I said. She nodded before trying to lay back down. I helped her by moving her leg. She asked for the light to be turned off. I turned the bathroom light on and turned the overhead light off. I sat down in the chair once again and fell asleep.