Chapter:9

After seeing the doctor about my knee he said it was safe enough to ride in competition. I was brushing Sky when I heard a familiar voice. Looking out of the stall I saw the guy I had competed against three weeks ago.

He was leading a horse down the isle with a little girl in his arms. Either a really young sister, niece, or daughter I thought. Then went back to brushing my horse. When he was shiny and clean I brushed his tail out getting all of the knots out.

Then moved to his mane. I fixed it up for this afternoon and grabbed the bridle. Once it was secured I led him out to saddle him. I threw the blanket onto his back before heaving the saddle onto his back. I fixed the girth tight before checking the stirrups.

"Oh now I don't stand a chance." I turned seeing that guy coming towards me with the little girl. "Depends on the event bub." I said. "Advanced and beginner." He said. "Just advanced. You have a shot in beginners." I said smirking.

"Now that's wrong. My niece here competed in it with my horse and got first place." He said. I then remembered he could help out next year with the camp. "Oh I was the wondering. Would you work at a camp next summer?" I asked.

"Depends on the camp." He said. "Western pleasure. Half the summer. From the week after school gets out to the last day of June." I said. "What's the requirements?" He asked.

"Has to be great with kids from age seven to age twelve." I said. "Sounds fair." He said. "I'll let you know if I'm interested."

I stood ready waiting my turn. It's just me and Sky today. It's already four in the afternoon and it's time for the intermediate class to begin. Beginners was the first event this morning at eight o'clock sharp.

Advanced was at six tonight. Going until eight thirty. I gave my horse water and ate something in the meantime while waiting. After I had eaten something it was time for the last class.

I got in did my part and waited for the results. It was seven thirty when I went in so that left almost an hour of doing nothing. I watched that guy go on before it was over.

Then there I was standing in the middle of the ring waiting to see who was eliminated. That guy got third place. I got second place and another woman got first. After collecting my second place prize I loaded Sky and headed home.

I got in close to midnight. After making sure Sky was good for the night I grabbed my bag and trudged up to the house. I unlocked the house quietly and slipped inside. I took my boots off and set them by the door as I quietly closed the door.

"So your finally back." My head jerked up. "What are you doing up?" I asked him. "Heard you pull up and was going out to see if you needed help." He said. I picked my bag back up and walked over towards him. "I got it. I'm use to the late nights when traveling." I said.

My eyes were literally almost closed as I went up the stairs. I made it to my room and plopped onto the bed and kicked my boots off leaving my clothes on.