Chapter:6

I just finished the course with Gizmo when I spotted my brother in the stands between the two bull riders. After exiting the ring I dismounted and loosened the girth on him. Then walked him over to a water tank. I let him drink while waiting for my brother.

"You did great out there with Giz. He looked almost like an advanced horse." Toby said. "He rode like it too. I just hope it's enough for the judges." I said.

An announcement was made for the green horse contestants to go back to the ring. I tightened the girth back and swung up into the saddle. "I'll be watching from here." Toby said. One by one we all filed into the show arena. Several horses acted out. Gizmo stayed cool and chilled while the ones around him acted up.

The head judge told us to dismount. I did so along with several other riders. Gizmo immediately squared up. The head judge came into the arena to look at each horse. He pointed at a few before getting to me.

He looked at Giz before going to the next horse. He pointed at that one before going down the line. Several were eliminated. He finally got down to three. Then handed one of the other two a yellow ribbon. Then stood between me and a guy.

The person standing next to him was holding a blue and red ribbon. I had seen the guy ride his horse with only one fault. Gizmo also had a minor fault but I don't know if the judges picked it up like I did.

He took the blue ribbon and handed it to me before the red to him. We then led our mounts out of the ring. I stopped letting him by. "I thing you did just as good as I did." I told him. "Thanks. Saw the fault. Those judges had a hard time choosing between us." He said.

"Thought I was the only one that saw it." I giggled. "Nah. But he did better than most of those greens." He said. "Thanks. I worked with him in the ring and outside of it too." I said.

"He did well." "So did yours." I said. He smiled before walking away. I went and claimed my check after giving Toby Gizmo. Then went to eat lunch with them before the afternoon rounds.

Once done with lunch and back at the arena I fixed Sky up and led him around. Then made sure he was sound for show. I brushed his tail out once again nervous that I was going up against the best around. "Zoe. You'll be fine." I looked up seeing Mason leaning against the stall doorframe.

"I know. I just always get nervous before I ride in the advanced class." I said. "Need some help with him?" He asked. "I'm good. Touch ups on my horse always calm my nerves." I said.

"Zoe your about to go out." Toby said coming up. I nodded and led Sky out. Once outside the ring. Toby tightened the girth and gave me a boost up. I winced at my knee. "Did you take your meds this morning?" Toby asked. I shook my head.

"The only thing you forgot to pack." He said. "I'll be fine for a few more minutes." I told him. "You know I trust you on this." He said. "I know you do. You've been there for me for the past four years." I said.

Once it was my turn I went out and held my head high and did my best. Once I was still in the middle of the ring on the back of my best trained horse I could actually breathe. I was dismissed from the ring and rode Sky out.

I didn't want to dismount until I absolutely had to. Once they called the contestants back in I rode Sky back in and dismounted only when told. Of course the judges know I have a disability. I stood next to Sky's head as the head judge walked by.

He finally started eliminating people. I held my breath while he eliminated people to my sides until there were just three left. I recognized the guy from earlier standing on the right side of Sky. The judge eliminated the woman on my left leaving us in the ring once more together.

The judge looked closely at us and our horses. Then asked us to remount and ride half of the course on each half of the ring. I relaxed more holding my head as high as I could. After returning to the middle the judge had us dismount once more and back away from our horses.

Sky High stood perfectly still while his horse turned its head to look around. The judge then walked over to me with the blue ribbon. I nodded and shook his hand. As I walked out my knee was bugging me beyond not wanting to walk anymore. As soon as I was out of the ring I pulled Sky to the side having to stop.

"Come on I'll give ya a piggyback ride to the stalls." I turned seeing Mason stopped next to me. "You sure?" I asked. "Yeah. Come on." He said taking Sky's reins letting me hop onto his back.

As he walked through the crowd with me on his back and my horse behind us I couldn't help but feel butterflies in my stomach. Once at the stalls he didn't put me down. He loosened the girth on Sky and switched from bridle to halter.

"Do you want to be put down yet?" He asked. "Why?" I asked. "Am I too heavy?" I asked him. "Not at all. Your just light enough that it comfortable." He said. I silently giggled at his comment.