Chapter Seventeen: The Monster

She was barely standing, blood dribbled down past her lips. Her breathing was labored and heavy as she struggled to stand properly.

"Naruto...." Akane murmured under her breath. Because of Naruto she is fighting- to prove herself to him. "I'm going to... stick to my word...because that's... My ninja way..." Hinata said, forcing the words out.

However, as soon as they passed her lips she fell to the ground. She began to cough up blood, yet she stilled willed herself to stand... but it was impossible.

It was clear to everyone that she couldn't continue.

"The winner is Neji Hyuga." The proctor declared between coughs.

"Hinata!" Akane yelled as Neji charged towards her again, ignoring the declaration of his victory.

To him, it wasn't enough. It would never be enough until she was unable to move again.

Immediately Akane appeared in front of Hinata, protecting her from her insane cousin.

Kurenai, Gai, Kakashi, and the Proctor were all there to stop Neji's movements, to hold him back from proceeding any further.

Akane turned around to look at Hinata's unconscious form. Quickly placing her head to Hinata's chest she discovered there was only the faintest signs of a heartbeat.

Hinata... could be gone... forever.

Akane's closest friend.

Akane's first true friend.

Hinata...Hyuuga.

As the medics rushed in with the stretcher Akane sat there. Unmoving. Only when she felt a hand on her shoulder did she realize they had already taken Hinata away.

"Akane." Kurenai called out to her. "Stand up."

"Kurenai... what.. What should I do?" she questioned, ignoring Kurenai's words.

"Whatever you feel is best." Kurenai responded softly.

"Will you stop me?" She asked.

"If you go to far, then yes."

"Alright. I'm sorry..." Akane muttered. Her sorry being in pretense for what she was about to do.

She stood up and turned around to face the one she had always has a distaste towards.

"Neji Hyuuga.... I swear on my life, I will kill you." Akane said, her voice of pure hatred, "Hinata... for Hinata's sake... I will kill you even if it's the last thing I do."

Anyone could feel the immense bloodlust emerging from Akane.

"Hmm. Like a monster would?" He retorted, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Of course." Akane said, her voice laced with deaths tone.

"You want to hear something?" He asked with a smirk.

"What bull will you spout now?"

"I know... I know everything that is you."

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Akane said, her eyebrow raised.

"You, are a true monster- a demon even." He said, cocking his head to the side.

"And?" Akane said, still unsure where he was going with this.

"You... you who acts so high and mighty... may just be the lowest scum of them all." Neji taunted.

"Seriously? Is that all you have to say?" Akane said in distaste.