Chapter Five: Reuniting with a Former Ally

After the incident that led Akane to be hospitalized, many days had passed. Each and every one of them were filled with various small tasks, which were dubbed as 'Genin Missions'.

Akane, who was used to these tasks and often did them to gain money before becoming a genin, didn't have any problems with them.

However, Naruto clearly disagreed.

"NOO! No thank you! For me, I want a mission that's like.... More exciting! Give us something else!" He demanded, after which he was scolded by Iruka.

As the Hokage went into the basic explanation of missions, Akane zoned out uncaring for whatever her grandfather said. Well that was until he said to them,

"Okay, I understand. If you guys insists, I'll have you do a C-Rank mission... You'll be bodyguards for someone."

'Body guards? He wouldn't mean...'

"I'll introduce you now, Could you please come in...?"

'Would I have to... leave Konoha?'

As the old man walked in, based on his dress it was evident he wasn't a Konoha's resident.

Oh... he was also drunk...

"What's this, it's just a bunch of squirts? Especially you... the smallest one with the idiotic face. Are you really a ninja?"

Naruto, upon realizing it was him threatened to kill the old man, which in turn would defeat the purpose of the mission.

"I'm Tazuna, a veteran bridge builder. You all must risk your lives and each of your limbs in order to guard me to the max until I reach my land and complete the bridge!"

'Reach his land...? So really have to leave Konoha?!'

"Hokage-Sama," Akane started, "I refuse to take up this mission."

"WHAT?! WHY?!" Naruto started complaining and whining.

"If the rest of my team desires to proceed without me, that is fine." Akane finished.

"What... are you scared?" Tazuna teased, "As expected of a bunch of brats."
Akane simply glared at him in response.

"No Akane, if the rest of your team goes, you must too." The Hokage declared.

"Akane..." Sakura started.

Iruka just stood their confused as to why his former top student would have any problems with this mission.

"No, I must decline." Akane responded.

"If you are scared, then Kakashi is there to protect you. I don't see any reason for you not to go."

"Hokage-Sama, I am sure you understand my circumstances very well. Even Kakashi Hatake is no match for Him. He wouldn't allow it." Akane said with a glare, and emphasizing the word 'very'.

"Akane, even if you are scared of Him, don't you want to let go of this fear, and grow to be a reputable ninja?" The Hokage responded, hoping his granddaughter would understand where he was coming from.

"That was never my intention." Akane said as her glare deepened, "All I want is the power to protect those around me!"

"Then you must let go of your fear!" The Hokage boomed. Those who were in the room were confused as to why both the Hokage and Akane were getting worked up over this matter.

"No! The fear will always be there no matter what I do."

"If you hold fear, how will you protect anyone? What if one day you need to protect people from Him? If you're scared of Him, then what will you do?" The Hokage at this point was getting more and more furious by the second.