Chapter Thirteen: Monsters

---------------------

word count: 4299 

---------------------

"Sakura, you're late!" Naruto said, stating the obvious.

"Y-yeah..." Sakura responded without a care, "Good morning, Sasuke-kun."

"Yeah." Sasuke replied.

'Something's a bit strange about Sakura...' he thought, and he knew exactly why.

"We... should wait for a bit... right?" Sakura said, although she too was unsure.

Would Akane wake up in time for the exams... or will she be forced to forfeit?

"W-well...waiting wouldn't hurt...I guess?" Naruto said, trying to be optimistic as he forced his lips to stretch out into a smile.

"Let's wait for a little bit." Sasuke stated, the others just nodded in response.

At the time, all three of them had the same thought. Do they really want to go ahead and take the exams while Akane doesn't even get a chance?

The team they all worked hard to bring together, to unite as one, to fight for each other and with each other... they would just continue on without one of their members?

Sakura's eyes were downcast. It was unfair. For Akane...and herself. Akane for having to go through what she was going through... and for herself ... having to worry about Akane to the point where it would negatively affect Sakura.

"Alright... if we wait any longer we will be late. Let's go." Sasuke said as he turned to walk in towards the building. The other looked at each other and hesitated. But they as well turned and followed Sasuke into the building.

"Oi, you guys."

Sakura, Naruto, then Sasuke, consecutively all three looked upwards to the source of the voice.

Akane.

"Akane!" Sakura exclaimed, looking towards her for a moment before looking down towards the ground, "You made it..." the ghost of a smile appeared on her complexion.

Akane nodded her head with a slight confusion.

'Why won't they look at me?' She thought to herself.

"Let's go guys." Sasuke said, once again making his way towards the building. Of course, he had sensed Akane's presence before. But he made no notion to notify his other teammates. Well... there was no point in it anyways, they would've found out in mere seconds either way.

In silence the group of four entered the academy. As they walked up a flight of stairs they came face to face with a group of genin who were crowded around the entrance of room 301.

Ahead of the door, two 'kids' seemed to be blocking the other's from entering, spouting various taunting statements to make the others flee.

"Taking the Chunin exams with that level of skill? Maybe it's best if you runts quit," The one with the cap-style hitai-ate said arrogantly.

"You're just green-assed brats after all." The other who had a discolored nose followed up.

"Please just let us through." Begged a kunoichi dressed in a pink top that resembled a chinese style dress. To continue the look, her hair was tied up into two neat buns atop her head. Ignoring her pleas, she was thrown back by one of the two ninja standing by the door.

"Thats...mean..." She responded.

"What did you brats say? Listen here, we're being nice to you. The chunin exam is a high hurdle." One of the two said.