Chapter Six: Betrayal- Akane's Past

Picture of Mirai above.
-----------
Note: This chapter takes place in the past
------------------------

Everything was gone.

The land was barren and there was no trace of life.

Except for the one small child amidst the roaring flames, bruised and burned, with tears streaming down her rosy cheeks.

She cried, and screamed, and yelled for help. But there was no one to acknowledge her pleads.

"Everything... is gone..." She said to herself,

"Everyone is gone....

Why am I the only one left...?

Why am I the one left to suffer...?

Why did no one love me...?

Am I really just a... demon?"

Days went by.... All alone... starving... just hoping to die soon.

Nothing was left for her after all.

After all the flames had died down, it began to snow. Each and every crystalline structure slowly falling, almost as if mother nature were crying in the middle of winter. The pure snow collected in place of the people who were once there.

The young girl no longer had the energy to move, and laid on the ground next to where her own family was killed. Her eyelids grew heavy, it was becoming difficult to hold them open. Her soft breaths were slowing down, only short ragged puffs were evident in the cold air.

'Is it time... for this pain to finally end...?' The young girl asked herself, as horrid memories of her life flashed before her eyes. All the pain, torment, and hatred felt came back to her all at once.

A single tear fled her eye... a tear of happiness, of relief, of hope that everything was now over.

"Akane!" A voice yelled.

"Akane-Chan!" Another yelled.

'Sensei...? Haku-nii...?' Akane recognized the voices, and forced her eyes to open... even if just slightly.

Although the figures were blurry, she recognized their warmth once they were near.

"Akane hang in there!" Haku yelled in despair.

"Akane... what in the world happened." Her sensei asked.

With no energy to reply, she just cried. Tears streamed down her death like pale skin, as her eyes began to close for the last time. Her breaths were no longer noticeable She didn't have much longer now.

"Akane, no matter what you do, don't close your eyes!" Zabuza yelled as he picked her up, "We will get you help!"

Zabuza took off his own cape and wrapped it around the frozen young girl before slinging her over his shoulder and running off. However, the land of Momi was hidden, and far away from other civilizations. The closest village was 4 days away on foot, running at full speed with little to no breaks. At this point, saving the young Akane would be difficult.

"Zabuza, wait!" Haku said-being the rational one-, "We should stay here and do what we can!"

Zabuza stopped in his tracks. "I know that Haku... but I told her father I would protect her no matter what happened... If I don't save her I'll never be able to repay my debt to him..."

"Then let's help her here. The closest village is too far." Haku replied as he started a fire, which was difficult since it was snowing.

"We leave for a month and this is what we come back to... Akane...what the hell happened?" Zabuza questioned, although Akane was in no state to answer.