Chapter 14 - Total Success

Let’s get down to business, to defeat… the Huns! Did they send me daughters, when I asked for sons?

I can’t help it, I have that little song stuck in my head since I thought of that. It’s always like that, some phrase that triggers a song in my memory bank of songs. It’s incredibly organised and it’s like I know the lyrics of every song I’ve ever heard. It’s quite useful, to be honest. Imagine you play Riff Off? Like in Pitch Perfect? It comes really handy… not that I’m ever going to play that but still. Imagination is powerful.

So, as I sing I’ll Make a Man Out of You I wander around the centre keeping in mind my homework. I’m still freaking out but singing to myself helps a bit. That and stopping to breathe deeply and to remind myself I can do it. I try to picture Mare in my head, saying over and over again that I have the confidence in me, I just have to try harder.

So first try: a squirrel I find when I’m walking around. I see it climbing a tree and follow it. “Hello, squirrel! Are you having a good day?” I ask and it’s pretty easy to speak to an animal. I wish it would be that easy with people.

Of course the squirrel doesn’t reply and I’m sure Mare wouldn’t consider that as actually doing my homework so no matter how cute the squirrel is and how we could become best friends, I keep wandering. I know it’s not normal to speak to animals, greet them or whatever, but I love Disney movies, okay? I always dreamt of singing a tune and having animals coming to me. Believe me, I tried that many times as a kid. It never worked out which was very depressing. Mum had to comfort me every time until I accepted that such things only happen in movies.

My second try is not an animal, in fact it’s a random girl that works for the retreat centre —she has the uniform— and we bump into each other. I’m caught off guard and for a moment I totally forget Mare’s homework.

“I’m so sorry,” she hurries to apologise, bowing her head. I hardly imagine she could think I’m a guest in here but she’s still very polite. “I was distracted. I’m sorry.”

I blink in surprise and when she looks at me I just smile and step back, trying to put her at ease. I even shrug so she knows I don’t mind and she gives me a small smile before she rushes in the direction she was heading before we collided. Only then I remember that I had to say hello to a stranger and she was a stranger. I could’ve perfectly used that opportunity.

My third try is with a guest. It’s a couple that I run into when I’m wandering in the gardens. They seem so happy and I feel terrible for even thinking of disturbing them so I stay behind, just watching them enjoy the summer day.

Fourth try is another guest but I can’t even breathe when I see Miley Cyrus there. I completely freeze and feel like puking while the whole world is turning. Even if she’s alone there heading to God knows where, I can’t even move a finger. I just love her music and I just… not. Too much for me.

Fifth and sixth try are other employees but I can’t manage to say hello to any of them so I’m really disappointed and it’s near lunchtime. I’m hungry now and I’ve failed every time I’ve seen someone. I could only talk to Patrick —that’s how I named the squirrel— and I’m still sure that Mare wouldn’t approve of that.

Maybe I can only speak to animals, you know?

With that idea in mind is that I end up heading to the stables. Horses are nice and maybe I can talk to one of them, just to feel a bit less like a failure. But when I’m about to make it inside, I hear someone approaching. Of course I hide, that’s my instinct by now. I hide in the first place I find and no, it’s not behind some bushes this time. It’s behind one of the doors. And as they are made of wood, I can actually see through some of the pieces. There’s a small hole.