23

I try to console Nathen but he refuses me and won't allow my touch so I take Nola and leave him at the pyre until the doctor tells him he needs to sign some papers so I slip mine and Nola's birth certificates in with them. He mindlessly signs them but I stop him.

Um Nathen you have to stamp those ones. They're for us to take Sylvie's things.

He sighs then sticks his finger and stamps the two papers causing him to shiver as Nola wiggles in my belly carrier. But then she whines and starts jerking around so I grab the papers shocking him as I leave the room in a hurry but she's really upset so I hold her making it look like I'm holding my belly.

Angel? Are you okay? Why'd you take off like that? Is your belly hurting? Angel?!

I shake my head as I keep moving away leaving the house but he follows so I do the only thing I can think of and take to the sky.

Leave me alone Nathen! You don't understand!

But as I fly off Nola losses her booties and cries out in pain making him fear that something else is going on. I quickly land on the roof seeing him run into the building to come help me as he panics so I know I have to hurry to figure out what's wrong with Nola.

What wrong baby girl? Why are you crying like this?

I unswaddle her and check her to find her back red and swollen so I slice her to try to help relieve the pressure but two tiny black wings with pink tips pop out.

Well, how about that. A War's baby with wings. And no help from me. Huh... You even have your daddy's family crest. I'm sorry your mommy died but I'll raise You with your little brother. He's in my belly right now. We have to go. Your daddy can't see you right now. He's to upset over your mommy and seeing you might make him even worse.

I hear the door start to open so I fall over Nola turning her invisible but leaving my wings out until he touches my shoulder.

Angel? Are you okay? Why do you have wings and where'd you get the booties Sylvie made? Did she give these to you? And why did I hear a baby cry?

Oh Nathen! You'll never understand!

He shakes his head full of questions but I just can't explain. Everything to him.

Then help me understand. Tell me what's going on. And start with the wings.

I sniffle then look up at him with nod.

I was born with them. I grew up in a day and I have two children with my first mate who died while he was changing. Now I'm pregnant and I told you about that what else do you want to know?

He stands silent for a moment Then looks around confused.

I feel like you're not telling me something. What aren't you telling me? How is Sylvie involved?

I frown at his interrogation like questions.

Involved? She had nothing to do with anything. I had no control over her or her life. I just came here to visit her and everything seemed to just happen. You can't blame me for what that boy done.

His eyes go sad but I see he knows I speak the truth. I just let what was meant to happen happen. I just stepped in and took the baby before hand. He doesn't need to know that, yet...

I still feel you're hiding something. I'm taking Sylvie's things and flying home now. Are you coming?

I consider his offer and think I could just pick up my life from right here but then I'd really be changing things.