Reunion

Rayne stared at Sahara. He looked like he wanted to laugh and shot a glance at Terrell; as though waiting for him to reveal that it was a joke. Terrell simply gazed at him with a solemn expression.

"Well I never," Rayne finally murmured.

Sahara was surprised. "You believe me?"

Rayne shrugged. "If Terrell does then I can't brush it off." He paused. "When did you get here?" his eyes narrowed. "It wasn't three years ago, was it?"

"A few months ago," Terrell spoke up. He threw the can towards a hologram trash can. It went in, and as soon as it touched the ground a hole opened and swallowed it.

"Interesting," Rayne said. He looked at Sahara with a new expression on his face.

"No, you can't examine her," Terrell told him dryly.

Rayne's face fell.

"Can you help or not?" Terrell asked.

Rayne let out a sigh. "You're seriously asking?"

"I thought y were the one who knew everything," Terrell told him dryly.

"Ha," Rayne replied. "I knew saying that to you when you were five would come back and haunt me." He walked towards his desk. "Look...there's a lot of things I can do. When it comes to technology there are so many new things we're discovering on a daily basis...but..." he placed a hand on the desk. "Another world? To tell the truth this is the first time I've ever come across something like this."

"In other words...you know nothing?" Terrell asked.

"Not yet," Rayne corrected him. "Once you know something exists you can work towards it."

"But..."

"I'll need time," Rayne said. "And even then...another world...building a connection would take years...that is if..."

"If what?" Sahara asked.

Rayne turned his eyes on her. "If it's even possible."

Sahara's heart sank.

"There are many things that could happen. A broken connection...a once in a millennium one...or maybe a door that can only be opened from one side," Rayne told her.

"So...you can't help?" Sahara asked.

"Let me look into it. I'll be able to tell you more with time...but...I really can't promise anything," Rayne told her. "Then again, perhaps if I had some incentive to work extra hard..." he shot a sidelong glance at Terrell.

"Don't even think about it," Terrell told him dryly.

"So mean, Really," Rayne sighed.

Just then, there was a beeping from his desk. Rayne walked over. He pressed a button and a hologram popped up. It was of a guy wearing a Keeper uniform.

"We've got intruders," he informed, "They just barged in yelling something about us having to let the prisoners go..."

There was a yell in the background and Sahara's eyes widened.

"Give her back you kidnappers!" she heard none other than Reagan's voice yell.

Rayne turned to Sahara. "They wouldn't happen to be friends of yours, would they?" he asked.

"They're part of my crew," Sahara replied. Why are they here? She couldn't help but wonder.

Rayne let out a long sigh. "Calm them down. I'll send the other two down in a minute." The hologram disappeared. Rayne turned his attention back to Sahara and Terrell. "You have my answer," he told them.