Growing a Backbone

The race was way too easy for Noah. Sahara couldn't believe it when he left the guy he was racing in dust. It didn't seem fair to the other guy as he didn't stand a chance. Noah left him after the first corner, boarding in a way Sahara had never thought possible. He finished way ahead of the other boarder, so much so that it made the other crew shoot each other uncertain looks. Even Orion looked impressed.

"That was a lot more boring than I thought it would be." Noah calmly boarded over from the finish line. A red bandana covered the bottom half of his face, yet Sahara was sure that it wouldn't stop his crew from recognizing him...not with his flashy hair that was still visible to all. "So...what did you think?"

"Just where did you learn to board like that?" Sahara asked; she was still breathless from the race she had just witnessed.

"There are people out there who could board before they walked...sadly I'm not one of them." Noah winked. Sahara wrinkled her forehead, not sure what he was trying to say.

"Let's just call it talent mixed with endless, not to mention painful, practice and leave it at that," Noah told her. He jumped from his board. Seeming to realize that the other crew was not dispersing but was hanging around and shooting glances at him, he cringed. "Did I overdo it?" he murmured as he ran a hand through his hair. "I could have gone made it close if I had slowed down somewhat and then taken the lead at the end..." he shook his head. Reaching up he pulled the bandana off his mouth and stuffed it into a pocket.

Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of wearing it? Sahara thought as she noted the other crew. He just exposed his identity.

"Very impressive," Orion spoke up from where he had been silently standing next to Sahara. "You made it seem like racing at this level is nothing at all." His eyes narrowed. "Race much in the upper league...say Omega status maybe?"

"Does it seem that way?" Noah asked as he gave a sheepish grin. "I'm flattered, but I'm afraid to say there are others out there that are better." He shrugged. "Maybe it's because this is no man's land that you don't have the top boarders here...they tend to go to the Omegas turf to find more of a challenge...no offense."

"Then if it's not that hard, how about staying till we reach the top?" Orion asked slyly.

"Ha," Noah replied. "Nice." He grinned. "I see what you tried to do there. Sorry but this is where our journey together ends." He snapped his fingers as he turned to Sahara. "That reminds me, that favor..." His grin widened.

Sahara swallowed.

Noah opened his mouth when his bracelet began to vibrate. He shot a glance down at it only to have his eyes widen. "Oh snap." He looked back up. "I have to go." Not giving Sahara a chance to say anything he reached out and grabbed her hand. "I'm getting your IHM," he told her as he held his bracelet next to hers. He pressed something and there was a beep. Dropping Sahara's arm, he climbed on his board. "Don't worry; I won't forget to call you about that favor later today." He turned his board around. "Thanks for the fun," he called before whizzing off.

Sahara watched him go.

"Seems like he had something urgent to do," Orion commented.

Sahara nodded.

"Well," Orion pulled up a screen on his bracelet, "looks like that race gave us another boost. We really aren't that far from reaching the top."

Sahara turned to him.

"I'm sure by now we'll have gained quite a bit of attention from those above."

"Because we're near the top?" Sahara asked.