The MiFlash

Naomi stood on the little board Alegra had tracked down. It was the perfect size for the little girl and she used it in a way that left Sahara and some of the other Falcons stunned.

How did it ever come to this? Sahara wondered as she watched the little girl racing against the large guy who was slightly in the lead. However, she knew the answer well. For the entire race was her fault. Sahara could almost hit herself as she remembered how things had gone wrong the moment she stepped up to the other crew.

"Eeek," Sahara had shrunk back as soon as she caught sight of the other crew. There were at least twenty teens standing in a clump, each looking as threatening as the last. "There's no way I can do this."

The twins appeared on either of her side and began to push her forward.

"Of course you can," Arden told her.

"You're our fearless leader," Reagan added.

"No, I'm not," Sahara whispered in reply as they approached the crew.

"Yes you are," Arden told her firmly.

"Bad girl, remember?" Alegra whispered from behind.

The twins pushed her forward and Sahara found herself standing before a guy. A girl stood to his right, her eyes wandering up and down Sahara in distaste.

"So, you're the leader of the Falcons?" the guy asked.

Sahara was frozen to the spot as she felt all eyes on her. She opened her mouth to say something, yet, upon not finding the words she quickly closed it again. The guy before her raised his eyebrows.

"Ha, she's not the type to waste words," Reagan tried to save the situation. A hand came on his shoulder and he was pushed to the side as Terrell came to stand next to Sahara. The other crew turned their attention to him.

"And who are you?" the leader asked as he suddenly looked interested.

Sahara wasn't sure if her eyes deceived her, but she thought she saw one of the members do a double take before quickly returning their gaze to neutral.

Terrell's face split into a grin. "Wouldn't you like to know?" he asked before he turned. He grabbed Sahara's arm and pushed her a few steps away from the group.

"Hey!" one of the guys yelled, angry at the fact that Terrell was showing his back to them so easily. Yet his leader stopped him, watching the exchange with calculating eyes.

Sahara found Terrell looking down at her. "If you're not going to act the part then the Falcons are done for. The reputation you got will disappear and it will take a lot to build it back up."

Sahara shook her head. "I can't do this. I don't know how!"

"You just need to pull it off for a few minutes. Be that tough girl they're all expecting."

"But that's not me!"

Terrell shrugged. "They don't know that."

Sahara bit her lip.

"Look," Terrell began, "don't think it over too much. Just act and think the most unlike you that you ever have. You don't need to even say anything. If you can just change the feeling radiating from you then you don't need words. I can even do the talking."

"Act the most unlike me," Sahara repeated. She closed her eyes and took a breath. Most unlike myself, most unlike myself, she chanted in her head. Images of her school back home flashed through her mind; images of the girls at school who strutted around with confidence. An image of Alegra, who always managed to be graceful in all she did and yet at the same time radiated danger, followed. Unlike myself. Sahara's slowly opened her eyes and she straightened up.