Beginnings

Among the tightly knit buildings of Regona, a group of teens gathered. Some sat on boards, hovering on in the air, while others stood nearby. All of them were glued to the screens on either their own bracelet or that of a neighbor's.

"Come on," one guy muttered as he stared intently into the screen. It showed two hoverboarders, boarding through narrow alley ways at extremely dangerous speeds. One of the boarders was a girl with blond hair and striking blue eyes, the other, a guy with dark brown hair. The girl was narrowly leading. Her board was a bright pink with swirling white designs on it. The front of it, however, had the imprint of a black falcon.

"Go, go, go!" Reagan yelled enthusiastically into the screen on his bracelet.

"She can't hear you," Orion told him from nearby.

"Go!" Naomi shouted louder than Reagan had.

Sahara sat beside the twins, her hands covering her eyes. Every few seconds she would peak out between her fingers. "Is she still okay?" she asked for the hundredth time.

"Relax," Arden grinned, "She's not going to crash."

"Yup, she's an even better boarder than she is a thief," Reagan added without looking away.

"Come on!" the guy nearby yelled. He seemed to be getting more and more frustrated.

"They nearing the finish," Arden looked up as he said it. Sahara followed his gaze to look down at the long straight stretch of alleyway before them. At the end of it came a sharper corner than she thought any hover boarder, no matter how good, could make.

"Hey!" Reagan let out the yell.

Through her fingers, Sahara saw the guy pull up beside Alegra in the narrow alley. He swerved to the side, ramming Alegra's board.

"He's playing dirty," Arden growled. He looked up at the guy near him. "This is meant to be a clean race," he told him.

"Yeah, yeah," the guy replied as he didn't look up.

"Don't worry about it," Orion spoke from where he stood. He pushed his glasses up. "She can handle it."

A few moments later Alegra proved him right. When the guy next to her tried to ram her again, she suddenly shot upwards. Instead of hitting her, the guy swerved and almost hit the wall. Taking the moment to her advantage, Alegra leaned forward and went for the corner at full speed.

"She'll never make it!" Sahara exclaimed. Naomi reacted by covering her own eyes, mimicking Sahara.

"Wait for it," Arden murmured.

The guy pulled up beside Alegra once more.

"They'll crash!" Sahara tried again. She knew from her own practice just how hard it was to go around tight corners, especially at a fast pace.

Both boarders hit the curve. The guy leaned back, braking hard while taking the corner in a drift. He did it the way a normal boarder would. Alegra, however, sped up and took the curve like a pro. She whizzed around it, leaning over to the side so that her entire board tipped. Its belly scraped the edge of the wall, causing sparks. And then she burst around and was in sight of the waiting teens.

Sahara let out a sigh of relief as Alegra shot towards them, her little stunt putting her a good way ahead of the guy.

"Yay!" Naomi cheered as Alegra flew through the hologram finish line that had been set up.

Reagan punched a fist in the air and Arden was grinning from ear to ear. Orion simply stood up straight and walked up to a guy who looked like her couldn't believe it. The other boarder passed through the finish line.