When All Was Calm

Sahara stared at the twins, they returned it. Slowly, Sahara turned to glance at Alegra, she didn't even blink. Her eyes turned to Orion whose face was blank, and then to Naomi who was chewing thoughtfully on her bottom lip. Gaze returning to her own cards, Sahara slowly pulled out a card. All eyes watched her.

"Five," Sahara announced as she slapped the card down.

"Six," Alegra retorted at once as she added her own.

The twins exchanged a glance.

"Out," Arden announced for them.

"Out," Orion followed their lead.

All eyes turned to Naomi. She looked up. The twins leaned forward in anticipation.

"Out, out, out, out," Reagan chanted.

Naomi looked back at her cards.

"Out, out, out, out," Reagan continued.

Slowly, Naomi reached for a card.

Everyone held their breaths.

"Seven," Naomi chirped happily as she slammed the card down.

"What!" Sahara exclaimed.

"No!" Reagan covered his face and Arden let his head drop to the table.

Orion shook his head as he pushed his chair back and Alegra stared at the little girl in disbelief.

"That's the fifth one in a row!" Reagan complained. He turned to glare at Alegra. "Why did you ever teach her how to play Howden?"

"Hey, I didn't know she'd get this good," Alegra defended herself. "But..." a smile spread over her face, "we might be able to make some real points hustling some people if she keeps this up."

Chaos broke out around the table and Sahara sat back and watched. The twins had taught her how to play Howden a little while back. It was apparently a very popular card game in Regona.

"Not fair, you taught her how to cheat!" Reagan was accusing Alegra.

"You're disturbing people," Alegra replied as she motioned to the area around them. As Drake's Café was still closed, the crew had headed to another. It was too hot to stay in the warehouse. Now, they were seated in the back of the café and playing cards together.

Sahara glanced towards the main room. Terrell was the only one who had opted out. He was currently sitting at the bar where he had somehow gotten a girl to buy him some sort of blue drink. As the café had no strawberry milk, he had a lollipop stuck in his mouth. When Sahara saw him make the girl beside him laugh, she turned away. She didn't want to see it. It set off a pang of something inside her she'd never felt before.

When she turned around, she found Arden watching her. He raised his eyebrows, yet she ignored him.

"This sucks," Alegra muttered as she tossed her cards on the table.

"Losing usually does," Arden replied.

"No...I don't mean Howden. We haven't had a race in a week."

"And it's still ridiculously hot," Sahara added.

Alegra nodded. "I hate to say this. But our whole plan of moving up in rank isn't going too well."

True. At this rate, it's going to take years to get to the top and get Rayne's attention. Sahara leaned her chin in her hands. How will I ever get home? The thought took her by surprise. She had almost forgotten about the Kane's in the last few weeks. She felt guilt engulf her. The whole reason I started this was to get home. She looked up at the others. And yet...it almost feels like I've found a home here. She shook her head. No. This isn't my world. I've got to get back to my real family.