Friday, March 7th

We cancelled our band practice yesterday because Zoey was feeling really bad. I was so NOT looking forward to school today. I tried to avoid Brandon. Maybe he did tell everyone that I attended this school on a bug extermination scholarship. I told my fifth hour teacher if I could go to my locker to get my textbook. As I was walking down the hallway, I heard someone. Someone who sounded very familiar.

"No, MacKenzie. You know I can't do that to her,"whispered that familiar voice. It sounded like... Brandon!!

"She won't know. She's not even here," another familiar voice said. MacKenzie. I followed her voice to this dark hallway and hid around the corner. I saw Brandon and MacKenzie. KISSING!! I knew it. I knew that any guy no matter how sweet or kind will always choose MacKenzie over me any day. Tears started filling up my eyes and my vision became blurry. I walked away before he saw me. That failed.

"Nikki! Wait! Let me explain," he called after me. I kept running away from him. This time, the explanation was clear. There was no way he was going to get bailed out of this.  I kept on running. He grabbed my arm.

"Let go of me!" I yelled at him clearly crying.

"No, I need to explain," he spoke gently. I tried to wriggle my hand free but he was to strong.

"Look, I was just..." He stopped.

"Cheating on me. That's what. I knew that this would happen. I knew I couldn't trust you at all," I argued.

"Please, that was not what it looked like," he replied.

"Really? Because it looked like you were kissing MacKenzie behind my back. Just like that text."

"You don't understand. I had to."

"Oh yeah, you had to kiss her because she is a hundred times more pretty and popular than me. You know what? I don't care anymore. You were always destined to have a beautiful and popular girl. I'm not going to stand in the way of your love life. If you want MacKenzie, you can have her!"

"No, I want you," he said with a tear rolling down his cheeks. I faced away.

"Just leave me alone," I shakily remarked and strutted to my class. I could feel MacKenzie's smirk burning in the back of my mind. Why am I such an idiot? I forgot my book. Whatever. I was not going to go back there.

I abandoned band practice and got dozens of messages from Brandon of him apologizing. I ignored them. No way was I going to crawl back to him. As I was about to collapse in my bed and have a really good cry, I got a call from Zoey.

"Girl, where are you? Why did you not come to band practice?" she said.

"Brandon and I broke up. He cheated on me with MacKenzie," I said while breaking down.

"WHAT!? Let me tell Chloe. Hold on a second," she fumed. I heard Chloe's angry rants and curses.

"Let me pass you to her," Zoey said angrily.

"Why did you not tell us? We could have skipped rehearsal to be with you," Chloe said in a livid tone.

"Well sorry, I was too busy being heartbroken than to talk to anyone," I said sarcastically.

"We're so sorry, Nikki. We'll be right over." We hung up.

Once they were here, I told them the story. They just had sympathetic expressions on their faces.

"I'm so sorry. Who needs Brandon anyway? I promise you that you will find a guy who will never hurt you," Zoey said empathetically. I didn't believe her. I knew Brandon was the one. He just didn't feel the same for me. It was already 8:00 when they left. I just held a pity party for myself and started sulking. Somehow, it always makes me feel better. It was soon bedtime and I cried myself to sleep.