Chapter 6

Rydel's siblings, Rocky, Ross, and the youngest one, Ryland, were already out there. And, of course, Riker.

I turned to Rydel with sweaty palms. "I'm nervous."

"Calm down. The worst he could do is toss you in the pool. I'm quite sure you could just bite him and it'll be all good!" She rambled. I rolled my eyes.

"Fine." We sat down in the two chairs on the pool side and tanned. After around ten minuets, I flipped over. I could hear the boys making splashes and felt the water droplets on my back.

"Marilyn, come get in the pool." I heard Rocky say.

"No thanks, boys." I replied. They continue playing, until I felt someone pick me up. I opened my eyes and saw Riker smirking.

"Put me down before I bite you again."

"Relax, I'm just playing around." Riker respond. He tossed me in the air, and I held my breath. The water stings as it hits my bare skin. I resurfaced and saw Riker busting his ass laughing.

"Jerk." I mumbled. I shrugged and tossed Rydel my shades and she put them in her chair. She got in the pool and swam around with me.

I got out of the pool and sit on the edge with my legs in the water, watching everyone. I looked at my body and saw how tan this bikini makes me look.

"Hey Marilyn," Rocky said. "Why do you have a tattoo?"

I look down and trace it with my finger nail. "The three birds represent my mother, father, and uncle."

Riker scoffs and rolls his eyes. "What did they move away from you?"

"No. They were in a house fire. It was in 2005 and my family were all together for Christmas. After everyone left, it was just me, Mom, Dad, Uncle Ronnie, and Aunt Sylvia. Long story short, someone forgot to watch the fireplace and only my aunt and I escaped." I felt my throat getting thick with tears.

"Marilyn, I'm sorry. I didn't know." Riker said.

"It's fine," I sniffled. "That happened back in Illinois. My Aunt became my guardian and we moved here."

"Sorry I didn't want to upset you. I was just curious." Rocky apologized. I wiped away a few tears that had escaped.

"Don't be sorry Rock. I'm glad I got that over with." Rydel came and hugged me which led to everyone hugging me except for Riker.

"Well guys, I'm getting pretty hungry." Ryland stated. We all nodded and I wrapped a towel around my waist. Rydel tossed me a cover up and I slid it on.

"Let's grab some burgers." Riker said. He grabbed his keys and we all piled into their family van. I slid in next to the window and Ross hurried up and sat next to me. He was soon followed by Rocky, who mouthed, "He's in love with you."

"Hey there," Ross flicked his hair getting water everywhere. "Sweet thang."

I rolled my eyes at him and wiped water from my eyes. "Hey there, cutie." I ruffled his hair making him blush.

"Guys let's admit it, Marilyn is obviously my best friend." Rocky bragged.

"Hey!" Rydel defended.

"Rydel, I'm like your sister." She smiled and turns back around the passenger seat.

"And she's my big sister." Ryland and I bumped fists.

"And she's my future wife." Ross flirts. I flicked his temple and he yelped.

"Then what are you to me?" Riker smirked.

"Your worst nightmare." His smirk faded and Rydel let out a loud,

"Oh! Do you need some ice? 'Cause you just got burned!" We high fived and Riker continues driving to Burger King.

When we arrive, we all piled out and padded to the door. Ross held the door open and winked at me. I rolled my eyes and laughed a little. I then headed inside.

"Hi welcome to Burger King where you can have it your way!" An overly peppy girl said.

"Hi I'd like a hamburger, fries, and a cola please." I pulled out a ten dollar bill I stuffed in my pocket when we were leaving.

"That'll be $4.75!" She handed me my change and receipt. Riker ordered next and steps next to me. I took a small shuffle to the left, but he just kept getting closer.

"Can I talk to you? In private?" Riker asked.

"Uh, sure." We stepped out side and sat on the curb. "What's up?"

"Listen, I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't know that your parents, you know. I'm truly sorry and want to make it up to you."

I rose my eyebrow. "Well thanks for the closure, but why do you want to make it up to me? I mean, you hate my guts, Riker."

"Marilyn, it took me to realize what I was doing to see how horrible I am. I'm always rude to you. I push you, shove you, tease you. Hell, I even beat you the other day." Riker's hazel eyes began to build with tears.

"Riker," I sighed.

"Marilyn, why do you still tolerate me? I treat you like crap." Riker sobbed. I wanted to comfort him, but I just couldn't find the strength to do it.

"Because I think there is someone better inside. But you have to stop doing wrong before I can really build a healthy friendship with you." Riker continued to sob, and my hand circled his back.

"You think I'm a good person?" He looked at me with red eyes.

"On the inside yes. But you just have to find that person and be that person." Riker sniffed one last time and wipes his tears.

"Thanks. So, can I make it up to you?" We stood up to head back inside.

"How?"

"I take you out to dinner, then to the park this Friday?"

I smiled at him. "That'll work."