Chapter 4

Dedicated to AnnemarieRobinson for being the first person to comment on this story and adding it to her library. This is my second 1D story and I deleted the other so it great to get a good response to this one.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lucie was once again sitting in the kitchen of her home alone. She looked as if she hadn't slept for a week and in all honesty, that wasn't far from the truth. For the past three days she had cried herself to sleep. She wasn't ready to accept the startling truth that she was faced with. Her life was over. How would she be able to complete all her dreams and hopes she had for life? Louis had taken everything; her heart, her soul, her emotions and now her future.

A fresh sob broke out through her throat yet no tears fell. There was no tears left.

"Lucie?"

It was Zayn calling from the hall.

"In here." she replied dryly.

Zayn swept in with a huge smile and hugged her. Only then he noticed her face.

"Lucie! What...has...happened?"

She just looked at him. Despair was written in big letters all over her face. He sat next to her.

"What's happened, Lucie?"

"It's all over." she simply stated, no further words needed.

"What do you mean, it's all over?" he asked worried.

"Everything. I can kiss my future goodbye. Anything I planned, anything I wanted is over"

"Why?"

"You remember me being sick all the time?"

"Is that better now? Did the meds work?"

"Don't say I really have to explain it to you."

He continued staring at her, still not understanding.

"Didn't anyone ever told you why girls are being sick all the time?"

"They're ill?" he suggested.

"They're pregnant." Lucie said carefully.

He didn't move or utter a word for the next five minutes. He just sat there and stared at her.

"Y-You're sure? Is it...you know...Is it Louis'?"

Lucie nodded unable to answer.

"Have you told anyone else?"

"NO! No one knows, only you. And I would also appreciate it if it stayed that way." Lucie said.

"What about Louis? Are you going to tell him?"

"No."

It was amazing that that single word could silence Zayn completely.

"Lucie, you have to tell him. Against what most people say, this is the one thing guys want their girls to tell them about."

"I'm not his girl. He lost that right the day he slept with that girl."

"So your going to be having Lou's baby, which no one was supposed to know about. Call be a bit simple, but how are you going to hide it? Sooner or later its going to be obvious."

"I don't know. I'll work it out."

She looked completely defeated. Zayn laid his arm over her shoulder and he pulled her closer.

"Don't worry, I'll always be here for you. But I still think you should tell him"

"I'm worried he's going to do something stupid."

"Like what?"

"I don't know."

Zayn couldn't imagine the kind of the things she would be worried about. Then it dawned on him.

"Luce, you're not worried that he's going to ask you to get a..." Zayn couldn't even say the word.

The look on her face told him how real that fear was.

"Luce! How could you even think that?" Zayn said horrified.

"Think about all the things this is going to ruin! Harry will never forgive me or Louis! That will ruin the band and EVERYTHING you've all worked for will be ruined!"

He sighed. He could protect her from everything except this.

He heard sobbing from next to him and he looked over and saw Lucie laying her head on her arms, crying.

"hey, hey. Shhhhhhh...You'll be fine."

"How can I tell Harry. He's going to hate me!"

"No! Harry could never hate you!"

Zayn rocked Lucie back and forth in his arms as tears fell heavily down her face. This wasn't fair, Zayn thought as he held her tight to him. How could it be right that this girl who had already been through so much, have to live like this?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry wrapped his hands around his mug, enjoying the smell of his coffee, the quiet hum of the lights above him, but most of all he loved people watching. When he was alone or upset he liked imagining their lives or he especially loved imagining the conversations of people who walked past.

Whenever he couldn't sleep, was alone or just needed to cheer up he went to the local diner, Starving Marvins. Cliché maybe, yet that didn't change the fact they had the best cups of coffee and pies in the whole city.

It was nearly 10 o'clock yet he had no intention of leaving anytime soon. He stared deep into his coffee below him stirring it absentmindedly. His mind went back to the reason he was here. He thought of Lucie and his heart dropped. He knew something was wrong with her but he couldn't completly work it out. For the past week he could tell something was up. She thought Harry didn't know but Harry had laid awake in the middle of the night, everynight for the past week listening to her crying herself to sleep. All Harry wanted was to go and speak to her, ask her what was wrong, but the last time he tried she wouldn't even bother to respond.

He sighed.

"Hey Handsome, want a new one?" Harry heard a voice from above say softly.

He looked up to see a young girl around his age standing above him smiling. She had wavy black hair with blue highlights which was tied up in a ponytail at the back of her head and dazzling green eyes. She was wearing the red and white checkered uniform and a white pinny over it. She was holding a fresh cup of steaming coffee.

Harry looked down at his now cold cup of coffee and smiled.

"Yeah, thanks." He said looking up and smiling at her.

She put it down and picked up the old one. She walked back to the bar, laid it down and then before he even had a chance to respond she slipped into his booth.

He smiled. "Can I help you?"

"Well i was standing over there at the bar, wondering why a handsome guy like you is siting here alone, when he could find a nice girl to spend the evening with."

"It's a long story."

"Well, my shift just finished so you up for it?" she said

"What?" Harry asked confused

"Spend the evening with me."

"I don't even know your name."

"Kaitlin."

"What do you intend to do?"

"What does it matter. You...me...we could have a lot of fun." Kaitlin said smiling.

"Sure, why not?" Harry said standing up.

He was happy how his lonely evening was panning out. He couldn't think of a better way to spend it really, beside a beautiful girl who was bold and spontaneous.

They walked out of the diner together smiling at one another. Maybe this night was going to work out.