La Revanche des Trois (Revenge of Three) - Chapter 23

this is the entire chapter 23.

Enjoy...

Chapter 23

Slamming and locking the bathroom door, she screamed in frustration and despair. This was too much! Why can’t things just go smoothly for her? Why was everyone trying to deceive her?

    “You can’t stay in there,” Lethal said obviously on the other side of the door.

    Stefanie almost thought he was going to make an attempt to break the door down, but after a moment she hear nothing.

Slowly falling to the ground, she covered her face with her hands and cried. All this time even Axel had deceived her? Just when she thought she could trust again? Why couldn't she find one once of happiness anywhere in her personal life?

Why didn't she deserve some form of happiness?

"Sitting there against the door crying does absolutely nothing to solve the dilemma you have yourself in," Lethal said clearly with impatience in his tone on the other side of the door.

Startled he'd still been there this whole time, she jumped up as if caught doing something wrong.

"You got your point across, Lethal, now leave!" she ordered.

Pressing her ear against the door for a long moment, she didn't hear anything but wasn't sure if he was still there or not. Damn Lethal and his penchant for moving quietly.

Opening the door, she peeked out to see him standing akimbo by the bed, with only his finger thumping against his thick leather jacket and a slight twitch in his obsidian eyes.

"I have better things to do than stand here and wait for you to get some balls, Stefanie."

She came out of the bathroom and looked at the bed. He'd neatly laid out all the papers and she bravely walked over to the edge of the bed to look down. Daxopholos Black's entire history was laid out and it was everything Axel had said about himself.

In the past, she had not noticed Daxopholos Black eye color because of his body odor. No one could get close to him to see the uniqueness in his eyes. Shortly during his first summer at M.I.T., he started to undergo plastic surgery.

He'd spent countless of hours fixing himself up on the outside to try to make himself better.

The worse part, he had a rare condition that made him immune to pain medicine and having anesthesia awareness. Most of the operations he had to endure had been done while he was asleep, but he could feel everything.

Why he had endured all the surgeries to look like he did must have been horrible for him? Yet, there was no way to doubt Axel was Daxopholos Black from all the evidence Lethal presented before her and she had been a fool to believe Axel could actually be too good to be true.

"You must think I'm some stupid girl living in a fantasy," she pouted.

Lethal came beside her and looked down at the papers on the bed and then at her. "No, I don't actually. I think you're have something I haven't seen in myself since my parents were killed."

This shocked her more. From what she knew about Lethal, he never spoke about his parent's death that led him to kill his uncle with his bare hands.

 Hesitantly, she said, "What was that? What do I have that you no longer have anymore?"

            "Hope for humankind. That there is actually some good inside of everyone and they will eventually do the right thing or do right by you." He moved closer to her and she shivered seeing a cold monster behind those black eyes that seem to press right against her soul. "I lost hope a long time ago for people."

"Do you think I should do the same thing? I should be cold and hard?"

He looked away as if he had revealed too much. "You do whatever you want. You be however you are." Lethal shrugged an indifferent broad shoulder. "It doesn't matter much to me, but I have to warn you when your hope could hurt my business." He nodded down at the paper.  "Here's what he was hiding?"

"What made you go after him like this Lethal?"

"Del told me he returned last night. I thought I needed to find out for myself who the hell he was for you."

"What if I didn't want to know?"

"You needed to know the truth, Stefanie."

"Maybe I liked my fantasy." She sat on the edge of the bed and picked up all the papers. "Why do you think he endured so much for all this?"

"That's a question you'll have to ask him. The Black male line is complicated. Two brothers, one good and one evil - I can understand, but this one is cut from more than that. He unfortunately had a demented shallow mother to also help push him over the edge." He shook his head as if removing empathy for Daxopholos Black was just that easy. "Sometimes there are more secrets to a man's heart, even I don't want to tell a woman."

"Ask him? I can't talk to him anymore. Not after all of this! Not after all I know."

"You'd be surprise. But I do have to ask you to trust your gut in this matter and not you heart. Knowing that he has close ties to Nick in the past, you have to be careful." Lethal went to the doorway. "And you're not a stupid girl. You're not even naive, Stefanie. You're just a person who still believes in hope. There's nothing wrong with that, but you can't be hurt every time humankind lets you down."

She looked back at the papers and then closed her eyes for a brief second. "I still can't talk to him."

Opening her eyes and looking at the doorway, she saw Lethal was gone. Her cell phone was lying on the bed where the papers had been.

Going to her front room, she looked around to see he was completely gone from her home.

Sitting at her computer, she started on Lethal Heart's project for his client. Working on that made her feel better instead of going back up to her room to remember memories of last night and looking over those papers that told her that everything about Axel Black to her had been a lie.

Maybe he could be helping Nick with getting information on her. Nick was deceitful enough to use anyone and do anything to help

Now she knew she could trust no one.

Don't forget to vote, post, comment, celebrate, dance and all that other fancy stuff you can do to help me spread the word about my reading. Also encourage others to read by sharing with your socials! Thanks in advance!