Eleven

I have reached 1,000 reads! Thank you to all who read my stories! As always, I do not own any TVD Characters, only Sage Salvatore, the character I created. Thanks again!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sage's POV

    I woke up early the next day to catch up on what I didn't get done. After taking a shower to wake myself up mentally, I sat down to eat breakfast. Eating each bite of my cereal slowly, I decided I wouldn't be able to focus on today's tasks. I could not stop thinking about the journal of Grace Fell. I sighed, not knowing what to do, I put my bowl in the sink and went over to the box where I had the journals. I had fell asleep reading the one from last night and I was going to put it back, just when I had an idea. I am going to go find out more about my family by going to do some research. I could go to the city hall and find any records with my family in it. I grabbed a leather messenger bag and put a few of the older
journals in it. The bag was stuffed but I managed to do it.

    I changed into another outfit, jeans and black long sleeved knit button up shirt. I kept my hair down, I never really saw the point of messing with it. I grabbed the bag and put it over my shoulder and locked the door behind me, incase of any curious customers tried to see what was on the third floor of the Bronze Book. You would be surprised on how many people have tried to come up here. I went downstairs to the first floor and told an employee that I would be back later. I walked outside and got in my car, putting the bag of journals in the passenger's seat along with my purse. I wonder what I will find out? It wasn't a long drive to the city hall in this small town.

    I parked along the street and made my way into the old building through the double doors. I love the old architecture the city hall had. I went to the front desk as the receptionist looked up and smiled, "What can I do for you?"
I asked her if she could find any Salvatore records that I could see. She nodded and went to the back room. I took a seat and waited, looking around at the paintings on the walls. They were just typical landscapes, some of various local landmarks of Bronze. Including, one bronze statue (ironic right?) of the only president from Missouri, Harry S. Truman. It was in the middle of the picture, surrounded by park benches and flower gardens.
I heard footsteps, so I looked up to see the lady walking back with a apologetic expression. "I'm sorry, it seems there are no records of any Salvatore's in this building." That was strange, I thought. I smiled politely at the city worker, and thanked her for her help.

    I was a bit confused, there wasn't even a record that I owned the building my I inherited from my parents? Feeling defeated, I walked back to my car. I saw a fire truck with its sirens on. Speeding down the street in some kind of emergency. I drove home thinking hard on any reason for the absence of records. What I saw next had me stunned.

    The store. My home! Was engulfed in flames! I parked right by the barricade that was set up. I ran up as close as I could as I watched the firefighters do there jobs. My personal journals, books, apartment, everything I had, was going up in smoke and I couldn't do anything. I leaped forward to get closer when someone caught my arm and spun me around. I was about to pull away until I saw it was Elijah. "Step back before you hurt yourself." he said. I looked back at the building that was once my home. Elijah put his hands on my shoulders to pull me back away while the firefighters did their jobs. "The fire will abate soon, there is nothing else that can be done." I knew this already and I felt so helpless. I hung my head in defeat, as Elijah lead me to his car that was parked  across the street. We leaned against his black Mercedes-Benz as we watch the fire extinguish, leaving my home in a shamble of ashes and charred wood. It has burned to the ground and the the police had arrived and put caution tape around the premises. Being a small town, the firefighter knew I owned the building and walked over to me. They gave Elijah a curious look. Probably, because he wasn't a local.

    Miss Salvatore, first off, we would like to say we are sorry we couldn't save your building. I nodded glumly, "I understand." They continued to talk. "We have confirmed that there was no one in the building. We will investigate the cause of the fire, from the looks of it we can tell that it was not an intentional fire, so that rules out arson. It could have been a gas leak or an electrical fire. It wouldn't surprise me because of how old this building was." That one stung a little, when he said "was". I nodded, "Is there anything else I need to do about this?" The firefighter whose name was Nate replied, "Just a report to file for the insurance but you can come to the station tomorrow. Do you have anywhere to stay?" Before I realized that I didn't have  place to sleep anymore, Elijah spoke up, "If it is alright with Sage, I wouldn't mind having her company at my home for a while." He said sincerely to the firemen. Nate looked at him and then at me, questionably. My mind went blank as I tried to speak. "Oh, well thank you Elijah! That would be great." I told him gratefully. The firemen were unsure to leave me alone with this stranger to their town, but they nodded and left.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elijah's POV

    I was in the woods when I smelled smoke, I ran to the town with my vampire speed. My heart jolted. The Bronze book was on fire. Sage! I thought, somewhat panicked, I sped to the back of the building where no one could see me as I jumped to the third floor through the window. I looked around and couldn't find Sage, she must not be in here, I thought. I was so relieved and was about to leave when I saw a old hand-carved box, I wasn't worried about smoke inhalation, it was a discomfort but I wouldn't die from it. I opened the box and saw a few journals, I figured they must be Sage's. I grabbed them and jumped out the window and sped through to where I left my car and drove it up to the burning building. I put the journals under my seat as the fire department showed up on the scene. It appeared everyone was out already, so I got out of the car to see the fire.

     I had walked a few steps when I saw Sage pull up and got out of her car to run up to the fire, I walked as humanly as possibly and grabbed her arm before she got any closer. What was she thinking!? I spun her around and all I wanted to do was pick her up and run. She tried to pull away at first and then she set her gaze on me and relaxed a little bit. "Step back before you hurt yourself." I tried saying as calmly as I could. She hesitated as she looked back at the burning building. Is she challenging me? I thought. I gently placed my hands on her shoulders, I just wanted to comfort her but I had to get her away. "The fire will abate soon, there is nothing that can be done." I led her to my car, a black Mercedes, it was not too flashy but still my style. We leaned against the car as we watched her home fall apart and many thought ran through my head. As I pondered these, I decided that Sage would need a place to stay, I could pay for her to be in a hotel again, but then she might get suspicious from the incident of the mugging. My jaw clenched as I thought about that low life scum who dared to hurt Sage.

    She can stay at the house I recently bought. I don't really need any sleep anyway, she can have the room. I will probably spend my nights feeding anyway, not that I need much blood anyway. I was beginning to drift away in my thoughts when the fire crew walked over and started talking to Sage about the building and what could of caused it. I knew it was a gas leak. Propane is very flammable. I could sense it when I went to rescue Sage, well, attempt to anyway. They asked her if she had a place to stay, I offered her my place to stay and she seemed to be relieved. I wouldn't dare to leave her homeless. The firemen were hesitant to leave her with me, so I put on my best innocent human facade as they looked at me. They nodded and went on their way.

    Sage turned to me and looked up at me, unsure what to say. I smiled sadly at her as     I opened the car door for her. She got in and proceeded to buckle up. I could sense she was a tad... numb. Like she couldn't process everything. I could see she was glad to stay at my place though. It seems though as I have earned her trust. I smiled to myself quickly, before getting into the car. I started the car. "Elijah?" Sage said quietly. I looked over at her concerned, "Yes?" "Can I grab something out of my car first?" "What is it, I can get it for you." I told her politely. "Just my bag and purse please." I gave her a small smile and nodded, "Of course, love." Not even realizing I called her love, she blushed. I got out of the car and went to retrieve her things.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading! Please COMMENT AND VOTE! It would mean a lot! I hope you enjoyed this chapter!!!!