28

They arrived at Elijah's house in Bronze after their long drive. I should've bought a bigger house. Elijah thought as he took his luggage from the car. Stefan and Sage got out and Stefan took one look at the house before saying, "I'm surprised you actually have a house and not a mansion." Elijah walked past him and said, "I wasn't expecting to stay that long and definitely didn't expect you to come live here either."
Sage and Stefan followed Elijah into the house. Stefan stayed close to Sage while Elijah cleared the house and made sure there weren't any unwelcome visitors. He nodded at Stefan and he relaxed. They went inside and Elijah took his and Sage's things to the bedroom. "So where am I staying?" Asked Stefan. Elijah responded, "Well for now the couch, tomorrow we can have a bed put in the garage for you to use as a bedroom if you'd like. This house is pretty small." Stefan nodded in agreement, "Fine by me." He put down his bags. "Mind if I go out and see the town and hunt?" Elijah thought for a second, "Alright, then I will stay here with Sage and make her something to eat. There are plenty of deer in the woods and other small animals since you don't drink human blood." Stefan nodded and walked out the door.

    Sage turned to face Elijah, "Stefan doesn't feed on humans? So they can have any blood?"
Elijah said, "Yes, Stefan drinks animal blood although the it doesn't make you as strong as human blood." She nodded, "and what about you?" From the look on his face she could tell his answer wasn't the same as Stefan's. "I drink human blood but I drink animal blood if I need too. I have been drinking animal blood lately though." Sage stares at him. "So do you kill people?" Elijah looks down. "Sometimes. Sometimes I just drink from them. Sometimes I drink blood bags from the hospital." Sage was surprised. She knew he drank blood because he is a vampire but actually hearing how he gets it was a little scary.
Elijah walked over to Sage and held her hand and looked at her. "I will never drink your blood nor let anyone else. I have been doing this for a thousand years so I can resist feeding from humans pretty well. I can't promise you it won't happen again because it probably will. It's just who I am."
Sage studied his face before sighing. She is going to have to accept it. This is her life now.

    She gave him a small smile and asked, "What's for dinner?" Elijah kissed her forehead and backed away, "How about I order your favorite pizza?" Sage smiled, "Sure, I'm going to go take a shower while I wait for it to come." Elijah nodded and picked up the phone. Sage walked to the bedroom and grabbed something to wear after her shower. She went to the bathroom and turned on the water. When it became the temperature she wanted she was about to undress when she heard a gunshot. It sounded like it was in the house. Elijah she thought and opened the door to the bathroom and crept down the hall. She was grabbed and she screamed and her attacker dragged her to the living room where she saw a man with a gun pointed at something. She turned her head. Elijah... He was leaning against the wall with blood staining his shirt. The man with the gun shot him again and again. Sage was terrified. Elijah stood up and was now covered in blood from the wounds. He looked at Sage, he looked like he wanted to grab her but then he looked angry. He started picking the bullets from his chest and walked towards the gunman. He shot him some more but Elijah just kept walking. Then Stefan stormed in just in time to see Elijah punched his fist into the gunman's chest and rip out his heart. Sage gasped. Stefan rushed over to her in vampire speed and snapped her attacker's neck. He dropped dead and Elijah sped to Sage and
put his arms around her. She hugged him back as if she would never see him again. She thought Elijah was going to die. "It's alright love, it's going to fine." He whispered in her ear. Stefan told Elijah he'd take care of the bodies. Elijah looked at him and nodded. Stefan left. After their embrace, Sage grabbed his hand and led him to the bathroom. "Are you sure you are ok? Let me see your wounds." Elijah took his jacket off. "I am fine Sage. It is you I am worried about." Sage shook her head, "You were shot Elijah! How can you be fine? Let me make sure." Elijah sighed and started to unbutton his shirt. She saw his chest and gasped. There were no wounds just blood. "We heal quickly Sage. I'm going to clean up, you go ahead and take your shower. I will be in the kitchen cleaning up before the pizza delivery man comes. Sage nodded. Elijah walked out of the bathroom and let her be alone to shower and calm down.