27

STEFAN POV
--------------------

I was lost in thought when I saw Elijah emerge from the house, or should I say mansion? The place was bigger than the boarding house. He got in and started the car. "What did you forget?" I asked him.
Elijah looked at me then glanced at Sage in the review mirror. "Just leaving the place as I found it." He said, still looking at her. She was already asleep in the backseat. Stefan wish it were that easy to escape reality for a while. Now every time he went to sleep he thought about drowning over and over. He shuddered at the thought. "Are you alright?" asked the Original. He nodded and they took off, Elijah driving them through Mystic Falls. Stefan eyeing the city limits sign for the last time in a while. He wondered where all his descendants ended up? How did his son, Thomas, grow up? How was Grace and when did she die? So many questions he had and the only thing he had was Sage to figure it out. I hope she was taught some family history. He thought. Will he stay with Sage throughout her human life? Or will Elijah be hellbent on turning her when she gets older? He clenched his hands. He didn't wish vampirism on anyone let alone his own family. Even though ironically, he made his own brother turn. He thought about these things a while longer. Not before too long, the sun started to rise and a new day begins. He thought, with this new day, he will begin a new lifetime. Hoping for a family he's never had. A grandchild whom maybe he will become close to. And an Original vampire being by his side...

-------------------------------------------------------
Sage woke up as it was becoming daytime. She stretched and yawned realizing she was still in the car. She looked in the front seat where both men seem to be lost in their own thoughts. She leaned forward and turned toward Elijah. Trying to surprise him by whispering, "Good morning" and pecking him in the cheek. In response he chuckled, "Good morning to you too.." And in response to that Stefan looked over and let out a small groan. "Damn, this is too weird!" as he threw his head back and looked up at the ceiling of the Mercedes.
Sage blushed and leaned back into her seat. Elijah slightly scoffed, "And it wasn't weird when you were with Rebekah?" As Stefan came to realization he admitted, "Fair point." Elijah chuckled under his breathe. Sage sat back up abruptly. "Wait, what?!" She looked at Stefan, "you dated Elijah's sister?" Stefan averted his eyes, "Er, something like that." When Sage got the message, she groaned as Stefan did earlier. "Really?! So do all you vampires just hook up or something?" Stefan shrugged, "Well...." and Elijah glared at him. Stefan put his hands up in surrender. "At least I'm not as bad as Damon." Elijah nodded in agreement. Sage, for some reason not believing they are talking this right now, just shook her head and leaned back. They stopped talking for the remainder of the drive and stared out their windows.