Chapter 31

(Tony's PoV)

I had given Diana a nod signaling her to just run. I would have gone after her but I was not going to lock her up for the rest of her life. Especially sense she did nothing wrong. I saw her run, well she wasn't really running but she was going as fast as she could. Odin was angry that none of us were going after her.

"With all due respect, locking her up would not have been a good idea," Bruce said to Odin. Odin gave Thor a glare, and then headed back into the palace. He was mad.

"Thor, why didn't you tell us that he wanted to lock Diana up? We could have helped," Natasha said.

"Honestly I was going to try and get her back to Midgard, but I was not originally told that I would lock her up," Thor said.

"Are we going to go after her, because if we are I don't think that would be a good idea," Clint said. We all nodded in agreement, following honestly wouldn't be a good idea.

"No, we are not going to follow. She will come back here, and to Midgard when she is ready, and only when she is ready. Trying to reason with her may endanger us, but we have all seen it will endanger her far worse," Thor said. We all nodded in agreement and headed back inside, except Thor who was headed to the Bifrost.

(Thor's PoV)

I headed toward the Bifrost to talk to Heimdal. Even if Diana was on the run and I wasn't going to make her come back, I still wanted to make sure she was safe. Although she would probably have that spell guarding her from Heimdal's eyes. Oh well, it doesn't hurt to check. I walked into the Bifrost and Heimdal looked worried.

"Any sign of her?" I asked.

"Surprisingly, yes," Heimdal said.

"Does this mean she trusts me now?" I asked.

"It could, or she could just be to weak to do it," Heimdal said. I nodded, I turned to leave but Heimdal stopped me.

"And Thor one more thing," Heimdal said.

"What is it?" I asked. There was a pause before he answered me.

"Loki is with her," Heimdal said.

(Diana's PoV)

I sat down with the book in hand and Loki sat next to me. I breathed heavily from all the running I had done. My legs felt like they would just pop right off from the pain.

"Are you alright?" Loki asked me.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I responded. I really wanted to cry from pain but I held it in.

"Are you sure?" he asked me and he actually sounded worried.

"I'm positive," I told him but it didn't seem like he believed me. I guess he was worried about me ever sense that nightmare he had. But sense that nightmare could have actually happened if I did go back to Earth, I could easily understand why he was worried. We both sat there in silence before Loki spoke.

"So what do you plan to do?" he asked me even though he knew what the answer would be.

"Don't know, but I'll figure something out," I told him.

"Do you want to read more of the book?" he asked me, and I could tell he didn't just want to sit here and do nothing any longer. I hesitated before answering. I wasn't even sure if I should read it anymore. But something told me to just suck it up, and read it.

"Sure," I said opening the book. I hesitated before actually reading it, but it started to read it. Part of me was afraid of what I would learn, but the other part of me wanted to know what was in this book more than anything else.

"After being forced to watch her father die, Diana ran off to her room. As she locked the door, she slumped down right by it. She cried as the shadows bent in unnatural and just plain scary ways. Strange noises where heard, like feint whispers floating in the wind. Diana wanted to just make the pain stop. It had felt like someone had stabbed her in the stomach and started to drag it across to the other side. Her tears where stopped when she heard a knock on the door. A part of her hoped it was her father even though she knew it was impossible.

"Diana? I know your in there. Please talk to me, please?" Tiana asked from the hall. Diana didn't answer.

"Look I miss him to but I'm sure that Odin did this for a good reason. Odin was protecting us, for all we know father could have been planning to hurt someone. So it had to be for a good reason," Tiana said as she walked away from the door and over to her mother's room that was down the hall.

"But...I'm the reason," Diana whispered so quietly she could barely hear herself. That night Diana broke. Deep down inside she had broken. She had known that the only one who could help her control the darkness, and actually care about how she felt was gone. Diana now knew that the darkness would take her and there was now no one who would be willing to try and stop it, or at least not until it was already to late. When Diana fell asleep she had nightmares, but not the nightmares she expected. That night she had thought she would have nightmares about losing her father, and how her sister would hate her if she ever found out. But instead the nightmares where about what would happen if  she lost control and hurt someone else with the darkness. Every scenario was different but ended one of two ways. The first way was that the one she hurt didn't die, they just ran away and before they did they'd say 'You're a monster and that's all you'll ever be!'. The words never changed. The second way was that they where near death and she was forced to feel pain much worse than her victim. In those dreams right before she died in it, she'd wake up. As the years pasted the darkness began to grow worse. Diana shut herself out from everyone she loved in fear of hurting them. But the worst thing was, no one cared that she ignored them, no one cared she had shut herself out from everything, no one cared. Then when Diana was nineteen and Tiana was twenty, it happened. The darkness had come. It was to late to get rid of it now. The darkness began to...,"  I read as I got ready to close the book. I made sure Loki got to the part I had before I closed it. I couldn't read anymore, I wished everything I had read was a lie. But in reality I knew it wasn't. I was broken inside. I had known it all this time, but I just pretended it wasn't true. I was broken, and I was scarred of hurting others with the darkness. I had merely pretended the darkness didn't bother me. I had acted fine around the Avengers but deep down I was afraid to be near them. Not because they could lock me up, but because I could have killed them. I could have killed Thor, I could have killed Loki, and I could have killed myself because I wouldn't face the truth. I tried to hide behind lies because it was easier than facing the truth, and because it didn't hurt as bad as the truth did.

"Diana?" I heard Loki say. I snapped out of my long train of thought, realizing Loki probably heard everything I just thought. I didn't say anything, I just remained silent. I didn't want to say anything, yet I knew I had to.

"What is it?" I asked him. There was a pause of silence. A silence that felt like it had made time stand still.

"There's nothing wrong with being afraid," Loki said. I wanted to say something but I was too shocked by his answer to even do anything.

(Loki's PoV)

She didn't say anything for a while, but when she did her answer surprised me more than my answer surprised her.

"Are you sure I'm the one who needs to be told that?" she asked me. There was no sarcasm, no annoyed tone, just a tone of kindness and sorrow. I wanted to pretend I didn't understand what she was talking about, but I knew exactly what she meant. I was afraid, afraid of being not cared about for the rest of my life. What she just thought was just like me. I hid behind the truth of being afraid.

"You do need to know that, but your not the only one," I told her.