Chapter 6

Haley's p.o.v

I kept looking back and forth from Jake to his mom, feeling so many emotions at once. I was angry at how Jake's dad put my mom and her family through so much hell but I was sad because I'm not too sure that my parents will accept my mate. I was slowly backing up, heading towards the forest and away from my mate and his mom. I didn't want to be here at all, I just wanted to wake up and all this would be one big nightmare, but I couldn't. My wolf was feeling all that I was and she wanted out. She felt loyal to her family and pack more than she did to her mate in this instant. She wanted to cry, she wanted to run as fast as she could but she mainly wanted to be in my parents arms and have them telling us that everything will be okay even though she knew it wasn't true.

I could see Jake watching me but he wasn't saying anything. Did he know? Did he know that my parents were the ones that killed his dad? That my parents are the reason his mom lost her mate while she was with their unborn child? If he knew, I would feel totally betrayed. He held this information from me and it was major information that I needed to know. I guess it was a good thing that I had found out now rather than a long time later. I finally got the courage to meet Jake's eyes and I saw how much he regretted not telling me but I just couldn't get over the betrayal. Slowly, I started walking into the woods only to have Jake grab my arm.

"Please, just listen," he said and sounded so heartbroken but so was I.

"No," I said. "You didn't tell me some very important information that concerns my family and yours. What kind of mate does that? I would have never kept that from you." At the mention of him being my mate I heard his mom gasp and cover her mouth in shock. I ripped my arm from Jake's and started running with all I had while I tried to drown out Jake calling after me. Once at my truck the tears started falling. I slammed the door shut and leaned into the steering wheel, letting myself cry. I needed to get this over with before I went home to change for volleyball. From now on, no more thinking about Jake and only concentrating on my schooling and volleyball.

"Honey, what's wrong?" my mom said as I walked into the house.

"Nothing," I told her and ran to my room before she could ask more questions. I then realized that I was still wearing Jake's jacket and threw it on the other side of my room and got ready for volleyball. After changing into some spandex and a muscle shirt I put on more makeup to cover my red face and puffy eyes. By the time I was done with that you couldn't even tell I was crying. After grabbing some water bottles I ran out of the house so my parents wouldn't keep questioning me. The drive to school took less time than I thought and I was thankful for that because I didn't want to think. I saw my brother waiting outside so I threw him the keys and ran to the gym.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Haley!" Brayden yelled and I stopped to face him knowing I wouldn't be able to get out of talking to him. "What happened?"

"Nothing," I said but knew he wasn't convinced.

"You know I won't believe that. You know we can sense what the other is feeling and while I was sitting in last period I suddenly felt sad, angry and betrayed," he said slowly. "So what happened?" I looked away from him because I knew I was going to cry.