[1]

Edited by; Scarlett London

[chapter one]

"Mum! I finished tidying my room. Can I go play with Jesse now? Please?" I begged my mum to let me go. All I want to do is to run around like every other five year old. Not stay home and clean. Seriously, what normal kid just goes out in their free time and tidies up or washes things? That's not how we work people!

"Adeline, you can be so stubborn at times. You can play as long as you are back by the time the street lights come on." yells Mum from the kitchen.

There is no point in me asking for an answer as I was going to go and play. Jesse and I have been friends since birth. Literally, we were born four days apart. He was born the 21st and I was born the 25th. It's also an added bonus that we live next door to each other, so we are pretty much inseparable!

Because of my jabbering and not thinking what I am doing, I run right into Jesse causing us both to fall in the pond which lies down the back of our properties. Our dads built it in there for us to play and swim in but it's way too gross to swim in now!

"Addie, you're such a klutz!" Jesse complains. Jesse and I have been friends forever! But we were total opposites; he is plump and I'm stick thin and lanky. He has green marble eyes and mine are wood brown and I have straight white teeth and he has all but two teeth in his mouth because of all his accidents.

"Hello Addie. Come back to earth." he flicks my forehead, pulling me out of my little world.

"Wait! what happened?" I say smacking his hand away from my face. He is always so irritating!

"Beside the fact that we are sitting in a pond with yucky fish." he complains while lifting me out of the water.

"EWWWWW! GROSS! THERE'S A BIG SEAWEED IN MY SHOE, IT'S IN MY SHOE!" I yell loudly trying to get it out.

"Don't be such a baby Adeline." I look over the backyard to see Dean sitting there trying to kiss some girl. Dean is Jesse's older brother, who is six years older than us and he doesn't really like me. He always makes mean comments about me in front of his friends.

"Leave her alone Dean." Jesse says protectively. He grabs my hand and we walk around the pond towards the cubby house. As we get to the door, he opens it for me and I walk in and turn the lights on so we can actually see what we are doing.

"Let's play kings and queens!" I squeal while pulling out the costumes. "Catch!" I throw the crown at his head and he catches it perfectly.

"Would Queen Adeline dance with me?" he says with a hand out. Giggling, I take his hand and we dance around to the Bratz theme song.

We dance and dance for a good hour before we start to feel tired. So we sit on the beanbags with our lollipops. And yes, we do have a secret stash.

"Jesse what's wrong?" I knew something was wrong because, one: I'm always right. Two: I knew this kid back to front and he really didn't seem himself.

"Uhhhh well tomorrow, me and my family are leaving." this startles me a little because he loves going on holidays. Every year, our families would holiday together.

"Why's that a problem? You love going on vacation. So, where are you going and when do you get back?" I question even though he still looks sad.

"That's the thing Addie, it's not a holiday. We are moving. We have to go live in Greece with Aunt Nancy and I have no idea when I'm getting back. I think only for a year but I don't know. I'm sorry."

It takes me a good couple of minutes for me to process that my one and only best friend was leaving me, even if it was only for a year but that's beside the point.

"So you're just going to leave me?" I try but I can't control the tiny clear tears that trickle down my peach coloured cheeks.

"I wouldn't leave without giving you a present. These are friendship bands, so even when I'm far I'm close." Jesse hands me a silver bangle then slides it onto my wrist. I notice the engraving on the outside of the band. 'We are best friends to the moon and back'. It is really sweet because he also bought one for himself.

"Jesse, can you make an extra special promise for me?" I ask while looking at my best friend.

"Anything Addie." he says ever so sweetly, so I stick my pinky out to him to seal the deal.

"Jesse, promise we will be best friends for life." hoping he will promise. I urge my finger towards him more and he links his little finger with my own.

"I promise Addie."