34- Poke Me Again and I'll Kill You!

Dance lessons, I hated dance lessons. I hated the puffy dresses that made feel like I was wearing a marshmallow, the obnoxious heels that clicked against the hard floor. Twisting and turning… worst of all the touching.

I fucking hated the sensation of some random guys hands around my waist. I was seconds from popping him in the face and walking away from the whole damn thing. If Ravens mother wasn’t sitting in on it that was the only thing keeping this guy from swallowing his teeth.

Let’s just say I wasn’t going to be impressing any nobles with my dancing skills, Jevvinii was playing with a doll brought to her by Mrs. Shardae. I think she liked Jevvinii more than me. I would have felt wounded by that thought but I really didn’t care.

The man’s fingers jabbed into my sides poking between my ribs making me curse aloud. He scowled at me shaking his head.

“You are standing all wrong!” He shouted turning his back to me.

My jaw dropped and my shoulders slumped, “We’ve been at this all morning, can I not have a five minute break!”

He spun on his heel to look at me, he was dressed in a long sleeveless coat and baggy pants. “Not until you learn the first part to this dance.” He snapped his fingers at me.

This guy was just asking to get popped in the face now, “Listen, I am exhausted-”

“No excuses! Dance” He commanded waving his hand at me.

“You are so asking for it.” I grumbled taking in a deep breath and stiffening my body into the horrible straight back position.

He circled me scrutinizing everything about my form, my eye twitched as he circled again watching me. His fingers jabbed at my sides again making me gasp sharply.

“That’s it!” I shouted spinning around winding my arm back to pop him in the face.

The dance hall doors opened and Raven accompanied by his Father and Jhebret entered the room walking and talking amongst themselves. When they looked up they all stopped walking, I was frozen with my fist inches from the man’s cowering face.

“What are you doing?” Raven asked tilting his head to the side.

Jevvinii leapt from her spot running in her little black heels towards Raven, she jumped up into his arms nuzzling her face against his chest.

“He kept poking at her, and making her redo the dance over and over again.” She said sitting up.

I uncurled my fist and stepped back from the Fae who proceeded to faint onto the floor into a twist slump of a man.

“I don’t dance.” Shrugging my shoulders I walked towards them leaving my poor dance instructor on the floor.

“You didn’t have to scare him like that.” Raven sighed looking around.

Shaking my head I looked back over my shoulder, “Oh no I really did.”

It had been like this for a week or so now, ever since the dinner Raven had been wandering around with either his Father, Jhebret or myself. None of us would allow him to be alone and truthfully I don’t think he wanted to be alone.

But there was a certain tension coming from the Councilmen whenever we passed them in the hallways. Most likely they blamed me for cutting off their hold on the royal family, but there was no way in hell I was letting them continue to use and abuse Raven right in front of me.

“My dear! How has your afternoon been!” The King crooned walking over to his wife with a big goofy grin painted across his face.

“Well apart from sitting here watching her fumble like a drunken idiot. Jevvinii and I have had a splendid afternoon.” I tuned out my jaw already clenched tight until my teeth began to squeak under the pressure.