12th Chapter

Picture of Karen

12th Chapter

James’ point of view

Everything was set. The party would go smoothly and Hugo was as clueless as ever. I convinced Thais to take him for a walk around the lake after dinner and bring him back to the tower at 8:30 sharp. Being the good liar I am, I managed to act cool during dinner, hiding my excitement for the party and my jitters for Lauren. Marlin, what that girl have done to me?

I laughed of whatever joke Fred had cracked although my mind was somewhere else. Desert was almost over but Michel had insisted on a second round of pudding.  People were starting to head to their commons and I saw Malfoy coming over from the Slytherin table to talk to Rose, I assume. I still didn’t like those two dating. Rose doesn’t know but I’ve heard some nasty rumors concerning them and I don’t know if Malfoy is doing anything about it. Rose is too innocent and has no idea of what guys say about her, about her body. Of course, Al, Fred, Michel and I did our best to protect her from it but…

“Oi! James, are you with us?” Fred snapped his fingers in front of my eyes.

“Of course I am you idiot”

“Hey! Don’t call me an idiot! You’re the one spacing out and you’re almost drooling.” I tried to clean the supposed drool. “I said almost. Who’s the idiot now? Anyway, Juliet is waiting for you Romeo” He signaled for Lauren standing next to the giant doors of the Great Hall. I got up and headed for her ignoring the catcalling and whistle coming from my friends.

“Hello Lauren” Act cool.

“Hi James” She looked shy.

“Shall we go?”

“Actually, I need to get ready…”

“Right, forgot ‘bout that, sorry”

“Do you mind waiting at my common room?” She invited me to her common room! Act cool.

“Sure, lead the way”

         ********************************************************

I took notice of my surrounds. The Ravenclaw common room had the best view. There were loads of blue and marble things. The big statue of Rowena Ravenclaw was in the middle of the room and I looked closer to the diadem on its head. My dad told me about it and it gave me the creeps. Around the room there were, besides the big bronze door, two different (marble) stairs, leading to the dormitories, and a big arch leading to a library. The gigantic window gave a nice view of the lake and the therapist-kind-of couch and sodas looked quite comfortable. There were a group of 1st year girls doing homework on one of the marble tables and some 3rd years playing wizards chess on the couch. I sat on the blue love seat, next to a 2nd year girl who was reading a book. She had light brown curls and that plus the book made me think of Rose on her first years at the school. I smiled at her. She looked scared and went to her dorm. ‘Way to go on scaring little kids James’ I chuckled to myself.

I remembered I should tell Fred where I was so I took the little notebook I kept in my pocket and wrote a quick message. I watched as the ink disappeared and Fred’s messy writing appeared with his response. This notebook is a creation of my Uncle George, he was inspired by the mirror both my names sake used to communicate, but thought that a talking mirror would look suspicious so he did the notebook. He gave us so that we could test it but we made him promise to only sell it when we finish Hogwarts.

“James? I’m ready” I heard Lauren from upstairs. I lift my eyes expectedly for the bottom of the stairs but she didn’t come down.

“Where are you?”