Chapter 24

V e r o n i k a ' s     P o i n t    o f     V i  e w

I got to skip hockey practice the rest of the week because Ben had hurt his toe from the bowling ball incident and was told "he" couldn't play for a few days so that his foot could heal. 

It was perfect because I got to spend more time with Celia again and I could continue avoiding Harry and Aiden.

I told them I wasn't going to talk to either of them until they worked their issues out, which they hadn't.

So it was just Celia, Ben, and I left to hang out while everyone else focused on hockey. And I wasn't complaining. A break from hockey and the boys was nice.

We were currently at the mall, trying to find outfits for the winter dance which was speedily approaching in one week.

I didn't have a date, but I wasn't concerned about it. It was my first high school dance so just that alone was exciting for me.

"Rons, what about this?" Celia joked as she held up a sparkly blue dress. We had been trying dresses on all afternoon and so far had found nothing.

A giggle escaped my mouth, "That looks like something I'd wear in a skating competition."

She looked back at the dress and laughed, "It does. Maybe you should try it on."

"You two are hopeless. Try these." Ben stated as he held up two dresses. One was a dark emerald dress that I knew would look great against Celia's pale complexion and bright red hair. The other was a simple black dress.

"You think that will look good on me?" I asked Ben with an uneasy tone as I grabbed the dress from him.

He shrugged, "It would look better than that awful thing." He gestured to the blue bedazzled dress, which was pretty awful.

I bit my lip, "Alright, I'll try it. But just for fun I'm trying on the blue dress too."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever." Ben stated, looking down at his phone, not really paying attention anymore.

Celia and I shrugged then went off to the dressing rooms to try the items on once again. I tried the black dress on first and while it was nicer than the other dresses I had tried on, it still didn't seem right. It felt more like a dress I'd wear out to a special family event or something, not a dress meant for a dance.

I walked out of the dressing room and turned to Celia who was patiently waiting as she stood there in the green dress.

"Oh my gosh, Cel. You look beautiful!" I squealed. The green really did make everything about her pop, even her eyes.

She twirled while laughing. "Do I?"

"Definitely, you have to get that dress."

She then looked at my dress and her smile fell a little. "That dress is nice too, but -"

"It looks like I'm wearing it to go have brunch with my babushka?" I finished for her.

She laughed, "I don't know what babushka means, but yeah, it does look like something you'd wear to a nice brunch."

"Babushka means grandma." I said while going back into the dressing room to try on the blue dress.

Celia chuckled from the other side of the door. "Well in that case, I agree even more now. That dress is totally a brunch with babushka kind of dress."

I quickly hopped into the blue dress and didn't even look in the mirror before opening the door and fake posing for Celia. "Maybe she's born with it. Maybe it's Maybelline." I joked as I stood there looking like a dork.