Chapter 2

V e r o n i k a ' s     P o i n t     o f     V i e w

A couple of minutes later I finally decided to get out of the shower. Once I turned the water off, cold air engulfed my body and I quickly reached for the towel I had used as a shield before. Damn Michigan for being cold, I thought to myself while shaking my head.

After drying off, I threw on a pair of light denim jeans and a cozy pink sweater. Getting dressed took a while because of my foot, but it was getting easier and easier lately -- especially since my foot hardly hurt anymore. Just when I strained it is when I felt some pain.

I threw my chocolate brown hair up into a towel to dry since I didn't feel like blow drying it at the moment and then groaned when I realized my makeup bag was still packed in a box in my room.

I slipped my right foot into the boot and then made my way towards the empty room. Upon entering, I noticed Luke and the peeping tom pointing at my walls.

''What are you doing?'' I questioned, crossing my arms and giving them a stern look.

Luke and the boy whose name I had already forgotten both turned around and looked at me. Luke was holding back laughter, most likely because of the towel on my head, while peeping tom just grinned.

 ''We were trying to decide how much paint we would need for painting your room.'' Luke finally managed to say.

''You're painting my room?'' I questioned.

He shrugged, ''Well yeah, you don't really want white walls -- do you?''

I shook my head, ''No, but..it's just nice of you to help without having to ask..'' I wasn't used to people being so generous. Most of my life was spent training and at competitions, and the stereotypical skater was pretty much true for most of the people I met -- they were obnoxious and uptight, anything but friendly and helpful.

Luke smiled, ''Yeah, well -- don't get used to it. I'm not always an angel. By the way, this is my best friend Harry, he's going to help. Harry, this is Ronnie.'' he introduced, smirking as he said the nickname he knew I hated. He wasn't kidding when he said he wasn't always an angel.

''Ronnie, nice to meet you.'' peeping tom who was apparently named Harry said, extending his hand out for me to shake.

I looked at his hand and then back at him. So we were going to pretend like the whole shower incident didn't happen then? I was fine with that, glad, actually.

''My name is Veronika, and yeah -- nice to meet you too I guess.'' I replied, shaking his hand.

''So Ronnie, do you know what color paint you want yet?'' Luke asked nonchalantly.

My eyes scanned the room and I thought about my white bedspread that was packed in one of the boxes. Back home my room actually was painted white, but I didn't want to feel like I was in the same place -- I was trying to start over after all. ''Yeah, I want black paint.'' I replied, feeling daring by choosing the exact polar opposite color of what I used to have.