Chapter 23

V e r o n i k a ' s     P o i n t     o f     V i e w

I slept in the following day after the bowing incident. My phone had been buzzing like crazy with texts from both Harry and Aiden all night, to the point where I just shut it off and chose to ignore them. I know it probably wasn't the best way to handle things, but I didn't know what else to do.

Harry was out of line for resulting to violence, and Aiden was out of line for egging him on in the first place and saying all those cruel things. Both were trying to make things right with me, when in reality they should be trying to make things right with each other. 

I was at a loss in the situation and decided ignoring them would be the best plan until I could figure something out.

What I really needed was advice, and I knew exactly who could give me it, but I was afraid to ask. Since I started hockey and the whole secret identity thing, I had unintentionally become a terrible friend to Celia.

She'd always ask to hang out, and I'd constantly have to bail because of practice. I hardly spoke to her at school because my mind was always preoccupied. Even Aiden noticed how out of it I've been yesterday when he brought up how Celia was sick. I had no idea. I sucked as a friend. We became so distant and it was all my fault, which made me feel awful. 

I decided I needed to fix things with her first before focusing on the Harry and Aiden drama.

Hesitantly, I turned my phone back on and debated texting her. But then I figured a text wouldn't do much. If I wanted to make things right with her I needed to make a bigger gesture. 

_____________________________________________________

"Two coffees with half cream and sugar and a box of doughnuts please." I stated at the cafe Harry's grandmother owned. I had asked Luke to give me a ride in Liz's car and then drop me off at Celia's so that I could make things up with her. I had tons of Disney movies, cough drops, and now some coffee and doughnuts with me as ammo to help the situation.

"You know, if you really want Celia to forgive you, maybe some chocolate cake might be nice too. Last night when I visited her she told me to come with chocolate, which I know is girl code for she has cramps and is dying. So I don't know, maybe that might help."

I nodded and looked to the cashier who luckily wasn't Harry. "I'll take a slice of chocolate cake too."

Once I paid and my order was off getting put together, Luke and I stepped to the side.

"Thanks for the cake idea. I never wanted a brother growing up, but I'm glad that I got stuck with you as one, you're actually a really nice guy, Luke."

He playfully rolled his eyes, "Shut up."

I laughed, "But you are. Why haven't you asked Celia out yet? You know she would say yes."

He shook his head, "No, I don't know that. We get along good as friends, yeah. But whenever I try to make a move or she flirts I get all panicky and weird."

I raised an eye. "Luke you're panicky and weird all of the time."

"Oh, great. I'm pathetic."

I shook my head, "No, it's what she likes about you. Why don't you ask her out to the Winter Dance that's coming up?"

He shrugged, "I don't know if she'd be into that."

I crossed my arms, "It's a dance. Celia loves to get dressed up. I'm sure she would love it. I can subtly ask her if you want?"

He bit his lip and then nodded a few seconds later. "Yeah, alright....Are you into dances?"

A small laugh escaped me. "Luke, I don't know? I've always been home-schooled, I have no idea what school dances are like. Why?"