Chapter Six - Progress

*peeks from behind rock* hello everyone *says nervously* sorry its been so long

no really I am truly sorry. I just never expected college to be so freaking HARD. I have no time, I have classes everyday from 8 AM to minimum 5 pm and then I get home and work as much as I can and on the weekends I have to catch up to the rest of my work and its exhausting. So I really haven't been able to write. I just finished my finals and have the weekend off before I start again Monday so I wrote this. Please be patient with me.

Vote, Comm, Enjoy :D

=============================

Celena

I was getting better, that much was obvious but I still wasn't allowed to go out because the the doctor Miranda, said I need to rest to build up my 'barely there immune system'. I tried to escape but every time Taylor would catch me. This time when he caught me sneaking through the back door he just looked tired.

"I really don't get it. Why do you want to leave so bad?" he looked so sad and tired I felt bad, but I needed to get back to the cave before Brett thought I'd left. "Just tell me what you want. If its family you want to go after I'll search everywhere and take you. Just tell me because I'm sorry but I can't let you go, especially when you're not healthy."

I stayed quiet, feeling bad for some reason. Knowing I wouldn't be going anywhere tonight, Taylor would remain on high alert I turned to leave when he spoke up "Look i'm going to make something to eat, are you hungry?"

I stayed quiet and looked at him cautiously. After a while I nodded and he motioned for me to sit down on one of the bar stools. I sat down and watched as he moved with ease in the kitchen, using stuff I barely recognized and stuff I didn't know at all. He seemed to notice I was interested and stopped "Wanna help?"

I perked up at the suggestion and stood up and walked to where he was but realized my mistake and took a few steps back, expecting punishment.

"it's okay if you come close, here can you whisk those eggs for me? Like this" he demonstrated and handed me the bowl. I took it hesitantly and tried to imitate what he had done. But I found myself spilling on the floor. So I placed the bowl on the counter and tried again. it worked for a bit before i accidentally tipped the bowl and dropped it to the ground. My heart froze knowing I would get punished. I immediately dropped to the floor, picking the broken glass pieces up hastily, my fear growing and when Taylor crouched and grabbed my hand I immediately jerked it out of his grasp and scrambled away from him.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry" I repeated, images of beatings and drug-induced pain flowing through my head

"Celena, calm down." A voice broke through my panic and for some reason I listened, I started to calm down and looked through my hands that I had above my head for protection. I saw Taylor standing looking at me cautiously "I'm not going to hurt you I promise"

He started approaching me but stopped when I winced "I just want to fix up your hands." he said and it was only then that I noticed my hands were bleeding, had I cut them while I was frenziedly gathering the broken pieces of glass?

Taylor knelt in front of me and held out his hands "please, let me see" I stared at him for a while before lowering my hands. He raised a hand and barely let his finger touch my palms. it was such a soft touch i barely felt it. "wait here, I'm getting the first aid kit" he said and ran out of the room. He came back faster than I had expected and sat cross legged in front of me. He went to grab my hand but stopped before our hands touched and looked at me. I hesitantly nodded and he gently grabbed my first hand "the disinfectant will sting a bit" he said and I almost took my hand back but kept it there. I knew the sting of the disinfectant, Brett had treated me so many times.

I stared at him for a while before getting the courage to talk "I'm sorry" I whispered and nodded my head to the broken pieces of the bowl behind him.

"You have nothing to be sorry about" he said gently "everyone screws up their first time around. At least with eggs its normal to screw up. I screwed up cereal my first time round. I put salt in the milk instead of sugar. you can imagine how that tasted"

without even realizing I giggled and Taylor's head snapped up and looked at me in shock before a grin spread over his face. I was shocked too, only Brett ever made me laugh in any way. "well isn't that a beautiful sound" Taylor said "well your hands are all done. Wanna try this cooking thing again?"

I hesitated but if he didn't beat me for breaking the bowl and even took care of me I doubted he'd hit me for asking shyly "Can I have some cereal instead?"

"Of course. You like cereal" he asked as he stood up and went to the fridge.

"Yes, its one of the few things I've tasted" I said without thinking and I saw Taylor freeze. I tensed up, I didn't want him to ask questions. Damn it I was stupid. Taylor cleared his throat. "what kind of cereal do you want?"

"huh?"

"We have coco puffs, frosted flakes and lucky charms. which one do you want?"

"I don't know"

"One of each it is then"

My eyes widened, one of each. Was he crazy? I couldn't understand his actions.What was his purpose? Why was he being so nice?

soon enough i had three bowls in front of me. Taylor had his own bowl in front of him "come on taste them and choose which one you like."

I grabbed the spoon and tasted the first bowl. I didn't like it at all but I didn't dare say anything, Taylor laughed "Okay from your facial expression I can tell you don't like it. So frosted flakes are out. try the others"

he didn't yell at me? Why wasn't he yelling and saying how I should be thankful he even gave me food?

I tasted the other one and it was yummy but the third one I loved the most. "C-can I have this one?" I asked

"of course you don't have to ask. I'm glad we have something you like. I'll stock up on Lucky charms tomorrow" he said as he put his bowl in the sink and started cleaning the floor from the egg spill while I ate. When he was done he stood up and smiled "you know you've talked to me this night more than you have these last few weeks. I'm glad"

I didn't answer, wondering why the hell I had a fluttering feeling in my stomach. And more importantly, why was I beginning to trust him.

and why was I starting to trust him.