Chapter 23

Amaya's eyes widened as Ryker gathered her up into his arms in one quick movement. As they had neared Corden's castle; the rival King's army had been unleashed. Ryker's army responds with their own great strength.

The two forces collide as Ryker carries Amaya quickly through the chaotic mass of people. Their fight will take place inside with Corden not here with his pitiful army. Ryker has faith that his own army will be able to make quick work of Corden's forces.

With Amaya in his arms Ryker stormed his way past those who tried to stop them. He carried her inside and set her down. There of course are a few guards inside; but most left to jump into the fight against Ryker's army. Ryker smiled coldly at the men holding weapons.

None of them ever had a chance against him.

In less than a few minutes all apposing guards were splayed out on the ground around Ryker. Amaya watched this scene with wide eyes. In this moment Ryker looked so much like his cruel former self, it hurt her heart to see him this way.

Her worries are quickly shattered when Ryker turns to her with a concerned expression. He checks her over quickly with his eyes making sure nothing had happened to her. Ryker takes Amaya's hand and begins leading her down the halls quickly.

One other person joined the two as they made their way towards the throne room quickly. Looking over Ryker saw Clayva at Amaya's other side. He had a feeling she would stand by her closest friend's side at all times. Amaya notices Clayva as well and offers her a small smile, Clayva hesitates but then returns the gesture.

"Where the hell is he?!" Ryker yelled as the three came to the empty throne room. Ryker's throne was bare; the coward is nowhere in sight.

Amaya quickly shuts her eyes to call forth the answer she requires. Corden could have been anywhere, hiding, battling, with that pathetic witch of his. The one place none of the three expected him to be was... asleep in his bed as the sounds of battle rage around him.

Amaya describes the scene she is currently seeing. Ryker listens to her description with a stone faced expression. Clayva is the first to state the obvious.

"It's a trap," She says coldly. Her eyes glance around the throne room, waiting for something or someone to jump out from a hidden point and attack them.

"Trap or not we may as well play along..." Ryker ignores Clayva's shocked expression. "He wants us to play? Fine let's play." Ryker stomps towards the exit of the room taking Amaya with him.

"Awe leaving so soon?" A sickeningly sweet female voice asks. Turning in that direction Ryker's eyes lock on a tall dark haired woman. Her red lips are curved into a twisted grin. Ryker is able to tell who this woman is upon first glance. Amaya had described this woman to him many times this is the witch Glenda.

Glenda had appeared in the center of the room, dark smoke still curling around her feet. It fades after a few more moments. "Now that my dear is how you make an entrance," Glenda said smiling over at Amaya. "Don't worry I'll have many years to teach you some of my best tricks."

"You won't be teaching her anything," Ryker growls as he lurches forward. Clayva grabs him which surprises Ryker enough to stop. "You need to deal with Corden I'll handle this witch."

Ryker looks over Clayva uncertainly. He and Amaya had both trained her, they made sure she could fight, that she was a strong woman. Ryker has a strong feeling this witch is too strong for Clayva, but he does need to get to Corden and end this war.

Ryker makes his choice in that moment; he chooses to allow Clayva to fight this woman. Ryker nods and grips Amaya's hand tightly. He pulls her with him and the two exit the room. Clayva looks at the witch and with no hesitation she surges forward.

Ryker pulls the door to Ryker's room open. He Amaya senses magic when she touches the door but it's beginning to fade. They enter the room and find Corden lying unmoving on his bed. His chest barely moves, he makes no sound.

Ryker is still wary that this is a trap. He approaches Corden slowly drawing his sword as he does so.

"It's rather rude to wake someone up," That same eerie female voice says. Amaya moves away from the door quickly as Glenda enters. "I suppose you are correct though," She releases a heavy sigh. "It's time for Corden to awaken!" At that moment Corden bolts upright in bed, his eyes flying open, his breathing becoming more normal.

"What is going on here?" Amaya demands coldly.

"Oh just another spell I can teach you when you're well... back to this age," Glenda laughs darkly. "First though we must get rid of your little friend here like I already did to that other girl."

"Did you kill her?" Amaya yells as her eyes fill with rage.

"No of course not, I left her to bleed out on the floor. Oh don't worry about the mess though I'll have it cleaned up soon enough."

Amaya runs past her and enters the throne room. Ryker follows behind her. Amaya is already kneeling beside Clayva.

Clayva is barely breathing, each breath seems to pain her; the rise and fall of her chest feels like more and more weight is being added with each intake of air. Amaya doesn't know the woman well in this life but she had in her previous life.

She gently takes Clayva's hand and holds it in both of hers. "I can fix this," Amaya says quietly, "I can fix this." She repeats the words over and over as she attempts to heal the woman. She tries to send her magic into Clayva's dying body but it won't work. She had been abusing her powers too much in a short amount of time. Amaya cuts her wrist and holds it to Clayva's mouth.

Ryker stops her and pulls her hand back Amaya tries to pull free of his grasp. "What are you doing?" Amaya snaps angrily.

"Stop Amaya," Ryker says as he pulls her away from Clayva's dying body. "You can do many incredible things," Ryker's voice is gentle and soft. "But not even you can heal the dead..." Amaya hears his voice crack on the final word. Amaya looks towards where Clayva's body lies upon the bloody floor. She notices something that cracks the wall that had always held back her anger. Clayva's body isn't dying it is already dead.

Glenda and Corden enter the room at that moment. Glenda is no longer smiling wickedly. "Kill him," She says forcefully. Corden doesn't make a sound, he doesn't hesitate. He moves forward and charges to where Amaya and Ryker and seated near Clayva's dead body.

Ryker is on his feet in an instant. He meets Corden's attack with one of his own. Amaya had grown up with Corden, she knows his attacks, his movements, she knows how he fights. His movements don't seem like his own. She looks to Glenda and finds the witch staring at her.

"You are far too perceptive for your own good," Glenda says coldly. She moves towards Amaya. One look at Clayva's bloody corpse and Amaya is filled with strength as anger mixes with her blood. She lunges towards Glenda.

"You will pay for what you have done!" Amaya screams. "You killed my friend, you are controlling my brother like a doll! And you want to take my life away from me!" She catches Glenda by surprise as she hits the witch in the face. "Let's see how you like losing your life."

Those words have been the coldest to ever leave Amaya's soft lips.