Chapter 22

I lay in my bed tangled up in my warm sheets. Though the mattress beneath me is soft and comforting and the blankets remind me of a warm embrace, cannot find sleep easily. I lay awake restlessly, kicking off the blankets and them replacing them around me once more.

It's typical that on one of the most important nights I can't sleep. The attack on my brother will take place tomorrow and if I am going to offer any assistance then I require my energy.

I usually sleep peacefully throughout the nights, so what is different now? I sit up and rub my eyes in irritation. Soft moonlight streams in through my window which is another soothing aspect. I look towards the door warily as it slowly opens. The person attempts to prevent it from creaking as they enter. My muscles tense instantly as they shut the door behind them.

"Amaya," A familiar voice says as he makes his way towards my bed. "It's just me calm down." Ryker eases himself onto my bed sitting beside me. "Why aren't you asleep?"

"Trust me if I could sleep we wouldn't be having a conversation right now." Ryker chuckles lightly at that. He gently pushes me down so my body is now lying against the mattress. He then puts himself in the same position and makes himself comfortable.

"Are you nervous?" He asks me after a few moments of silence.

"I wouldn't say nervous, more like overwhelmed, maybe a little scared."

"Are you scared about the battle or ruling over a Kingdom?" I don't respond for a moment as I think. Both fill me with a sense of feat, but ruling also calls forth excitement. "Remember our plan? You won't be on your own ever, I promise you." He places his arm around me and pulls me closer to him. I feel myself relax into him as he lightly begins stroking my hair.

"I just don't want anything bad to happen," I finally say after a few moments of comfortable silence.

"Bad things will always happen, but you and I will make better things happen." I blush deeply at his words, luckily I'm facing away from him so he cannot see it."Get some sleep Amaya we both need it." He leans down and kisses my forehead. I don't have to ask him if he'll stay with me through the night because I already know he will.

It feels nice to fall asleep in his arms, it reminds me that I am never alone and that like him I am also strong. As my eyes sleepily close I know his absence is the reason for my insomnia.

Our eyes both open at the same time in the early morning. I sit up and move my now messy hair out of my face. Ryker sits up a moment after I do and stretches. There is no time for breakfast or anything else. I don't think I would be able to stomach anything anyway.

"Get dressed and I'll come back for you in a few minutes," Ryker says as he climbs out of my bed. He leans down and presses his lips to mine for a quick kiss. He closes my door behind him as he exits and I waste no time getting up. I quickly choose clothing at random and brush out my long hair. I grab a hair tie and put my hair up out of my face.

Ryker returns to me as I finish with my hair. He walks up to me as I stand in front of my mirror. He places his arms around me from behind and pulls my body closer to his. "Amaya," He says softly as he rests his chin on top of my head. "No matter what happens today; you are to stay by my side, is that clear?"

"There's no other place I'd rather be," I say as I smile up at him. He laughs softly and kisses the top of my head.

"Alright let's go everyone is waiting for us."

Ryker takes my hand in his; that usual warm sensation I feel whenever he touches me rushes over me helping to ease my chilling nerves. The halls of the castle are empty as we walk through them, every vampire in Ryker's army will be taking part in this one final attack, the attack that will help to end this war once and for all.