Chapter 16

Everything Ryker had told me at breakfast plays repeatedly through my mind. I try to use my visions to see if there is anything I should worry about, if he is playing with me, fooling me. But no visions of myself being harmed or in danger from him come to me. My heart knows I am foolish to believe he would ever do something so drastic, I've seen the past, I have lived my memories, and he will not hurt me.

I sit on my balcony, looking through the bars that resemble a cage. Ryker told me easier when I asked to have them removed that they are no longer there to keep me in, but rather to keep others out. He promised that once my brother has been defeated I will become free, completely unrestrained.

I agreed to his terms, that I will still maintain a close relationship with him. In truth I need him; I do not know how to rule fully on my own. The only reason I suggested the idea is because I know that my people will not allow him to take over so easily and that would cause serious issues. I also want to rule for myself, I don't want to be controlled any longer; I don't want to be beneath anyone else. I am strong, and I need to prove that not only to myself, but to everyone.

I stare out at the scenery stretching endlessly before me. I never knew ShadowBrook could have such beauty. You can find something wonderful in even the darkest of places. My hands ache to feel the feel of a paintbrush gliding along smooth paper, recreating the landscape my eyes take in.

I rest my head against the stone wall and close my eyes. It's overwhelming how much has changed in such a short amount of time.

I am not stressed about the responsibilities I will be taking on, because I know I won't be facing them completely on my own. My thoughts drift towards Ryker once more and I once again wonder how the future will play out. Will I learn to love him as I had time and time before? Or will things be different now?

My thoughts become something else in the blink of an eye, and my wants to view the future have been granted. A vision courses through my mind, taking away the calm sights of the landscape I had been staring at.

Blood clings to clothing and skin, bodies litter the ground. Those who still stand fight with sharp weapons, knowing either themselves or the enemy will fall. My eyes dart around, frantically searching for my future self and Ryker. I begin moving through the fallen bodies and fighting solders. Unlike memories I cannot be harmed here. These are events that have not yet happened, there for I have not felt the pain yet. I pass through people as a ghost, my presence unknown to all.

I know I will not be able to erase this horrid sight from my mind so easily. I try not to take in their detailed faces or their wounds. A man lets out a pained groan. I make the mistake of looking down upon him. His hair is a short dark brown, his eyes a pale green. Freckles are splashed across his face; he has a small mole on his left cheek. I take in the final detail, the long gash across his stomach. I force my eyes away from him and keep going. My feet pick up speed and I soon find myself running.

This battle is much larger than my brother's first attack. I run inside the castle where more fights are in progress. My legs carry me quickly to the place where Ryker had hidden us away during the last attack. The doors are locked tight and guards stand ready outside. I pass through the walls and let out a relieved sigh when I see myself and Ryker there, both unharmed.

My relief however is short lived.

Loud crashes sound from beyond the walls, I hear loud shouts. Ryker holds me tightly. He too has a weapon, a sword. He never was on to stand down from a fight, but he is here for me instead of with his army. The sounds are getting louder, closer. Ryker murmurs something to my future self but I cannot hear it.

There is an eerie moment of pure silence in the castle; the muffled sounds of battle can scarcely be heard beyond the stone walls. The entrance to the hidden room is opened. Ryker and my future self-look at the figure that slowly enters, the now dead bodies of the guards lying behind him. I stare up into my brother's eyes.

His sword is coated in blood, his twisted smile is chilling. Ryker pushes me behind him before standing in front of me protectively.

"It isn't nice to steal someone else's things," my brother says mockingly.

Ryker releases a low growl. "She isn't a thing, and she doesn't belong to you."

I stop listening to all words being exchanged between the two. My brother is hiding something; I can see it in his eyes. That is what holds my attention. In one quick movement my brother surges forward, his twisted grin widening. Ryker is quick to leap into action as well.

It's then that I see it. As the two start to fight, their blades flashing, my brother manages to slip a concealed dagger from his coat. Ryker doesn't think too much of it, probably believing my brother is attempting to battle with two weapons, or stab him with it. Ryker can handle it if Corden manages to do so. However the dagger doesn't find its way into Ryker's flesh, instead it digs sharply, painfully into mine.

The scent of my blood filling the space and my pained cry is enough to grab Ryker's attention. He looks away from my brother for just a moment, but that moment is all Corden required. My future self and I both scream at the same time as Corden lifts his sword and brings the sharp object down, slashing Ryker deeply.

His body falls backwards, landing on the ground. Ryker tries to get up but Corden acts faster. He brings the sword down on Ryker again... and again.

I watch him die, just as he had watched me die time and time again.

The vision ends and I am once again staring at the silent landscape. I no longer see it as beautiful though, I now know this is the calm before the storm, a false sense of peace, of happiness, of hope.

I sit, breathing heavily for a moment. My knees wobble as I get to my feet. I feel tears stinging my eyes as I leave the balcony and walk back into my room. I shut the door slowly, closing off the balcony.

I don't know how Ryker could tell I needed him, and I don't know how he knew what was wrong, but he did. I open my door and begin walking towards his study, knowing that's where he'll be. If not then I shall check his room, or the throne room. I don't even have to look for him. As I begin walking down the hall, he comes walking towards me.

"Amaya," He says as we near each other. "What's wrong?"

I wrap my arms around him, taking in his scent. It's hard to describe him properly; he is unlike any other male I have ever come across in any of my life times. His arms wrap around me and I can't bring myself to speak the words of my vision. Ryker doesn't ask me to, he just holds me comfortingly. I want to stay that way; I want him to be close to me. But I can't break down and cry now, not when I may so easily loose him.

I pull away from him, drying my own tears. "We need to talk," I say in a trembling voice. "I had a vision."

I decide not to tell him of his death or my injury. That will cloud his judgment. Ryker nods and leads me to his room. I take the time as we walk to gather my thoughts and prepare myself to relive the images I have seen.

The calm before the storm doesn't last for very long.