Chapter 11

Ryker has been in his office when three rapid knocks sound at his door. He has asked everyone to leave him undisturbed, but clearly they do not understand the meaning of that simple request.

"Enter," Ryker commands in a hard voice.

The door swings open revealing the three figures that dare disturb his peace. Two of his guards stand on either side of a younger boy. Gripped in the boy's trembling hands is a rolled up piece of parchment.

Ryker slams shut the book he has lazily been glancing through as a way to distract his mind, and to temporarily silence his overwhelming thoughts. "What is the meaning of this?" Ryker asks glaring at the trembling Boy.

One of the guards shoves the boy further into the room, causing the boy to stumble and momentarily lose his footing. He finds it again, though the King wonders how long it will hold with the amount of trembles coursing through the Boy's entire being. "My King," The guard who shoved the boy speaks up. "He is a messenger from the Kingdom of Yuivaria, sent by King Corden himself."

The King's interest has now been drawn. "Is that so?" the King asks with a spiteful grin placed upon his lips. The boy shakily nods at the King's question. "I'm insulted your King would send such a scrawny child to enter my presence." Ryker looks the boy up and down, deciding he looks to be in his teens, and obviously human. "Come here boy," the King commands in a sudden harsh tone. The boy jumps at his raised tone and quickly hurries to the King. He holds out the rolled up piece of paper he has been clutching in his arms.

Ryker slowly unrolls the single page, reading the few words written there slowly, silently. When he has finished he still does not make a sound, still does not move. He allows the moment to drag out, taking amusement from the boy's growing fear. The King begins to laugh, a vile and malicious melody. the boy stumbles back as the King slowly begins to rise from his chair.

"Send maids to tend to Amaya, I want her looking presentable. It appears we have a guest joining us for dinner." The guard who has remained silent throughout the entire ordeal gives a swift nod before leaving to do as the King asked.

The boy's eyes light up at the sound of his Princess. He could see a fondness for her in his eyes, a light blush creeping into his otherwise pale complication. "Should- Should I inform my King that you have agreed to his offer?" The boy asks in a shaky voice. The King is surprised he has the nerve to utter a single sound.

"Oh dear boy I'm afraid you will not be leaving here." The King speaks the words simply, as if he is not speaking of the boy's death.

"But- But I m-must deliver your message to my King," The boy stutters as he backs away, banging into the Guard who lingers behind him. The guard once again shoves the boy forward, causing him to stumble. However this time the boy does lose his balance and falls to the floor. He pulls himself up, the King's eyes watching him intently.

"So weak... yet so unwilling to stay down," The King smirks as he turns his back. "I want his blood drained as much as possible without killing him, however if that happens so be it. If the boy survives I want him sent into training," The King says as prepares to return to his seat. However he pauses and turns around. "Allow me to be the first who tastes your blood..."

The boy let out a fearful screech as the King launched himself towards the boy.

Amaya has not been told a thing about what is going on. Ryker enters her room to see her seated on a chair. She wears a white dress with a gold band around her waist. Her hair is still slightly wet from being washed not too long ago. The King has given the Maids a few hours with her, to prepare her for what will be taking place shortly. Her head maid Helga is currently brushing through Amaya's long hair, the silky strands hanging around her beautifully.

Ryker can sense her confusion and anxiety concerning the sudden urge to be cleaned up so nicely. She will always be kept beautiful but tonight he requires her to look stunning.

"You look beautiful, Amaya," Ryker says once the two are left alone in the room. He runs his fingers through her silky dark hair. She flinches at his touch but it does not concern him. "Do you know what will be happening this evening?" He asks her, now gazing into her eyes.

"No," Amaya replies in a hesitant tone.

"Your brother will be coming here for our evening meal, though I'm sure he has intensions to somehow take you back home with him." Ryker watches as several emotions flash across Amaya's face. Her conflicting emotions confuse him, is it possible she is aware already of her brother's acts of cruelty? Has she regained that memory?

Amaya opens her mouth to speak but he silences her by holding up a hand. "You of course will not be leaving with him or anyone else for that matter. I will however find amusement from your brother's pathetic efforts. I'm curious to see how far he will go to get you back."

Is Amaya's confusion over her regained memory? Or could it be that she has begun to feel something for him?

Ryker sets a small box he has been holding down on the small bedside table. He slowly opens it and removes the item it previously held inside. "Close your eyes," Ryker instructs her. He has his back turned to her, not allowing her to see what he holds.

Amaya reluctantly shuts her eyes. Ryker turns to face her after a slight pause. He walks towards her slowly. She jumps when he moves her hair away from her neck. "I'm not doing what you think I am," He says softly. "Just relax Amaya," He says as he places the necklace around her neck. The chain holds a charm in the shape of a crescent moon. The moon has several designs carved into it. Several star and smaller moon charms hang from the chain as well, surrounding the moon. Ryker can recall how long his love had worked on it in several lives.

Each small charm represents one of her lives gone by. If she doesn't get the chance to add a charm herself, he will do it for her. Liara has first begun the necklace; it only held the large moon charm at first. Liara loves this Necklace; she adores it with all of her being. He has saved it for her when she passed; he refuses to let it go. Even though he is still a cold creature at that time, he has known to hold onto it. Hadley has died before he had the chance to give it to her. Amerie is her third life. Once he has presented her with the necklace, she has suddenly gotten the idea in her mind to add charms for each of her lives.

"Open your eyes," he says once the chain is secure around her neck. Amaya slowly opens her eyes and glances down. She reaches up and slowly strokes the charms of the white gold chain. "You first started making this in your first life," Ryker says quietly. He moves from his place behind her to stand facing her.

Amaya is silent for a moment as she looks at the chain around her neck. She looks up at him finally, her eyes filled with a mixture of emotions. He can sense little denial from her. "I remember this," she says softly.

Ryker offers her his hand to help her to her feet. Amaya accepts his offer and slides her hand into his. They are both slightly surprised at her acceptance of his gesture. He pulls her up gently then slowly releases her hand. "We have much to talk about, and we will... but not now. Amaya, I will say things I don't mean tonight, I will speak cruelly, but please do not take it to heart. I am doing this for revenge against your brother, not you." He places his hand on her back and begins to guide her from the room. At first she doesn't move but she soon gives in to him.

Entering the dining room they find their guest already seated.

"Welcome Corden," The King says in a loud, mockingly pleasant voice. "I believe you already know my companion for this evening? Princess Amaya."

Amaya and her brother lock eyes. From the pleased look upon Amaya's face, she has not yet reclaimed the memory of her brother ending her own previous life, with her unborn child.