Chapter 15

Ryker's fingers tap absentmindedly upon the polished wood of his desk. He doesn't look up when his study door opens slightly after three light knocks. It isn't Amaya, he would have sensed if her presence had neared him. Instead a maid enters the room and sets down a tall glass before him. She leaves wordlessly already knowing not to bother him.

Several thoughts and questions crowd his usually controlled and clear mind. Ryker has made several heavy decisions before, but none that would affect him so greatly, so personally. If he allowed Amaya to become Queen of her land after her brother's defeat then she would return home. If he didn't allow her to ascend then she would surely never be able to trust him. Ryker must get her to trust him so she can love him.

There is also the matter if Amaya is able to rule. Does she know the stress she will have to shoulder? Does she know just how heavy those weights are? Though it is true she ruled alongside him in previous lives she was never alone. The two were there to help each other, to share the stress and danger that comes with ruling.

She was never alone, and neither was He.

Ryker releases a frustrated sigh as he presses his hand to his head. How can he make her happy, she wishes to rule her Kingdom but she isn't ready? He cannot tell her that of course, she wouldn't listen to him. Ryker attempts to think of a way to please the both of them. He wants her near him, but he also wishes for her to be happy.

Can he put her happiness above his own? Or is there a way for the both of them to be happy?

He takes a long sip from his glass and then slowly returns it to his desk. He stands up and begins to pace the room absentmindedly. His mind toys with possibly ideas, things he can do, words he could say. But none of them sit properly with him. For the first time, Ryker isn't sure what to do.

Ryker is not one to give up easily however. Once he has his mind set on something he doesn't give up until he has accomplished that task.

He had left Amaya in the small garden she loved and still loves. He respects her wish for alone time, but he feels the need to be near her in this time. She needs someone but she has no one.

That's how it is in her mind. Amaya believes she has no one she can trust, no one she can turn to. But she has him; she will never truly be alone.

He never wants her to feel like she is alone again. The idea pops into his mind; it is so simple yet so perfect. He had only been focusing on one thing, either he let Amaya rule or he doesn't.

Now he has found a way to do just that, and keep her close to him.

He thinks the plan over repeatedly. He only allows himself to retire to his bed when he feels she will be satisfied with his suggestion. On the way to his room he passes Amaya's closed door. He opens it a crack and peers into the darkened room. He can make out her shape now lying on the bed; he can hear her calm breathing and steady heartbeat. He slowly shuts the door once more.

Opening his bedroom door, Ryker steps inside. He closes the door behind him and walks to his bed. He moves the curtain that covers the painting hanging over his bed. The same blue and purple eyes he has loved for a lot of lifetime stares back at him. The soft pink lips are curved up into a smile. This painting always smiles, but now he wants to see Amaya smiling. She is real, and she is here with him.

He knew she was awake, he could hear her movements through her closed door. Like all of her previous lives, the first thing Amaya does in the morning is brush her hair. He could hear her pulling the brush through her messy long hair; he is hesitant to knock upon her door.

Though he is fairly certain she will agree with the proposal he had come up with the night before, there is always a slim chance she will be incepting. Ryker frowns at his own absurd nervousness. Of course Amaya will be pleased with what he has to offer her.