Chapter 62 - First Night at the Capitol

MAY FRUSTLOCK'S P.O.V

I tore the stupid fish costume off of my body, the scaly paper texture scraping against my fingers. Why me? Why couldn't wimpy little Aloe have been the fish?

I raced to the lift, not wanting to be seen busy anyone. I wonder how my sister had to deal with being a tribute.

She got the average mermaid outfit. She used a trident and got a nine in training. She was a Career, so she got off easy.

So far, I've made no friends, I can't use a weapon and I'm dressed as a stupid fish. I have absolutely no chance at winning so far.

I almost punched the '4' button on the panel inside the lift, making sure no one else could squeeze into the elevator with me. If no one wants to ally with me, I'm not going to make an effort to get to know anyone. My mentor is a douche. My stylist is the worst here. No other tribute likes me, especially this one kid from twelve. I'll kill him like my sister killed his brother.

If no one wants me, I'll just play the underdog and screw them over in the arena.

The doors slid slowly to a close. Before they locked, I could see someone running towards me. Not any tribute I recognised. He looked like someone I recognise. He looked like Kern, but older. Scarred. Like my sister.

Ventio.

The lift began to rise up. I let my thoughts catch up to me, seeing as I've barely had time to think about my life. It was only this morning since my name was called, announcing my inevitable death.

It's weird, knowing my sister is at home. My sister isn't here to support me, help me. My mum is at home, crying on the couch, knowing her child won't be returning to her.

The doors opened, revealing the expensive apartment I was going to be staying in. I immediately ran to the first bedroom, hoping that no one will be up here straight away.

I darted into the room, locking the door behind me. God, I don't want anyone to see me.

I grabbed a vase on the drawer near the large bed. I held it tightly in my grip. As I brought the glass object down over my shoulder, a smashing sound was heard as it collided with the drawer edge.

I then started throwing the glass shards at random objects in the room. I was taken aback when I realised out of the eight shards I threw, six had hit what I was aiming for.

I retrieved my shards before smashing the vase even more by throwing at the wall. I counted the shards I had formed. Twenty.

I began to throw the twenty shards at pictures, doors and other inanimate objects laying around the room. I pierced the neck of one lady in a picture.

I looked slightly closer. The lady was a previous victor. That victor was no one other than Sinshuke Frustlock.

I stared at my hands, slightly ashamed by my actions. Scars and wounds lay on my palms and blood trickled down my arms.

I aimed, threw and hit my sister with the vase shard. I don't know why, but I feel like it wasn't an accident. Like my mind subconsciously forced me to do it.

I aimed again. And again. Once six shards impaled her body, I realised I couldn't fit another shard into her pictured body.

I threw my shards onto the floor, smashing them even more. Why am I hurting my sister - and therefore myself?

I heard a knock at the door. "May?"

"Who is it?" I ask, shaking whilst pulling out the jagged shards from the paper.