Chapter 27 - Training: Day 1

LEPORIS FRANKE'S P.O.V

I stepped out of the elevator. Oh god, I was the last one to arrive.

"Hello guys," a guy said. "I'm Jarrett Cannery, and I'll be here to assess you over the next 3 days." His Capitol accent annoyed me. "You will be filmed for all of Panem to see, so don't be weak!" He winked and walked away to join his fellow gamemakers.

Well then, where to start?

I saw Spikelet running around with a pickaxe, slashing at dummies.

Where was Spiro?

I looked around. Spiro was at the hand to hand combat. He kept looking at me.

I don't know. I may just go to the fire building station.

I sat down, the instructor not saying a word. I grabbed a flint and steel, unsure of what to do. I rubbed the two objects against each other. It required a certain technique.

I managed to make sparks, and eventually light a fire. I carried on lighting other objects, logs, paper, coal...

Suddenly, something flew at me. A dummy.

The dummy landed on the fire and slowly burnt. It came from the combat area.

There was Spiro, panting heavily. He'd thrown it, hadn't he?

If that's the way he's playing, then I'll join in.

I calmly stomped out the fire on the dummy's chest and walked over to the mats where Spiro took out another dummy.

"Hello," I said.

"Hi," he replied coldly.

"What have I done to deserve a dummy to almost burn me?"

"Well," Spiro said, "let's just say I don't feel too happy that you didn't even try to calm me down on the train." His grip on the dummy's neck tightened. "Aren't best friends supposed to be there for each other?"

I looked to the floor. I didn't see him because I didn't want to. I felt annoyed by him yelling at me. He expects me to run around after him all the time. I'm not a servant.

"I just didn't really-"

"Didn't really what?" He snarled. "Care?" He sat on the floor. "All I want is a bit of attention. I'm fed up of being ignored by every single person when I'm having a bad day."

"I have emotions too," I murmured.

"It's just not fair, is it?" He yelled. Oh no, this will be like his fit on the train. "Whenever I have emotions, I'm blanked. I'm fed up of being the funny guy all the time. I just want someone there to calm me down."

I stared at him. What? I'm not like that. I'm always there for him.

He was glaring at me. "This is what I mean. I've lost my temper again and you won't even say anything to at least calm me."

"Maybe I don't want to calm you," I said.

I struck the flint and steel. His training outfit set alight. He ripped the cloth and threw it at me.

"I just don't care anymore," I said, disheartened.

"I don't care about my life. I'm glad I am in these games!" Spiro screamed at me.

I turned around. "Do you really mean that?"

"If I say yes, you'll leave," he said, looking to the floor. "If I say no, you'll still eventually leave."

I stared at him blankly.

"I don't need an answer whether you meant it. I'm leaving no matter what." I scowled.