Chapter 33 - The Arena: Day 1

DEVON JONES' P.O.V

I sat in my room with my stylist, Claude. Only us two will enter this room. Only I will shoot up that pipe. This room will never be used again.

"Hey Devon," Claude said. "Good luck. I believe in you. You have the power to get through this."

I shook his hand. "Thank you for my brilliant outfits and for being supportive. I'll be thinking of you in the arena."

"30 seconds."

I walked up to the tube. I can't believe I'm about to step into the arena. I could die within 2 minutes. Keep calm. Just keep breathing.

"20 seconds."

I stepped into the glass elevator. The glass was cold against my palms. I took my hand away, my fingerprints smeared on the tube.

"10 seconds."

I looked at Claude, unable to speak. He stared back at me, his purple eyes filling with water. The tears spilt down his face as I rose into the air on my plate.

"I'll never forget you," he mouthed. I bit my tongue to stop the tears flowing. You have to be strong. Weakness is an enemy.

I felt the breeze brush past me as the sky became visible. A cool breeze, but sunlight was visible, and it was beaming on us tributes as we rose from the ground.

"Tributes," President Ammon boomed. "Let the 500th Annual Hunger Games begin. This is minigame 2. 3 of you will come out alive. Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favour!"

The timer started. 60, 59, 58, 57...

It was a forest biome. The trees swayed peacefully around us. In less than a minute, blood will be shed.

The cornucopia was blinding. The sun reflected off of the golden horn. I could make out weapons inside. I'm not sure if I'm going there. I'm pretty sure I could make out a pickaxe. Spikelet will be dying to get that.

45, 44, 43, 42...

To my left is Leporis and next to him is Rupilia. Leporis was eyeing the spears inside the cornucopia. Rupilia was nodding at Friary, who was positioned opposite her, next to Tifa.

36, 35, 34, 33...

To my right is Lawson; next to him is Cresselia. Lawson was nervously biting his lip, whilst Cresselia looked at the swords and kept checking to see where Jackson was. He was next to Tifa, like Friary, but on her right hand side.

22, 21, 20, 19...

I'm lucky that I can use most weapons. If I can get anything, I would love a trident. I'm happy with an axe or a sword though. Preferably not a dagger or a bow and arrow, but at least I can use them.

14, 13, 12, 11...

People were breathing heavily, ready to launch themselves off of the podiums they stand on. The rustling of brown combats filled my ears. I looked at our yellow shirts. They'll be orange-red in a minute when the blood of innocent victims is splattered all over us.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

GONG!

I jumped off of my podium before the gong sounded, but I landed after the gong. This have me a slight head start, which I needed. I'm not a fast runner.

Using all of my strength, I ran as fast as I could towards the cornucopia. Rupilia is surprisingly fast, getting there before me. Sectus and I both ran for the spear rack. Many of the other tributes followed up behind us. I grabbed a spear and a sword, before leaving the cornucopia.