Chapter 54 - Minigame 3 Summary

PHILLIPE HONEYMAN'S P.O.V

I stared at the screen, amazed by the tributes action. They refused to kill each other.

The President will not by happy with me. I couldn't do it. I had broken down just before the intercom announcing the Capitol Catch.

Fione walked in, her face red and bruised.

"Make up time, come on Fione!"

"No," I said. "Let the public see her. It'll make her look stronger, more desirable. Besides, they may think that it was an accident."

"He's right," Fione said, gripping my hand. "We don't have time. The games are finished now."

We ran off before any more make up could be smothered on our faces. We took our positions for the camera and smiled.

"This is it," I say to her. "After this we have free lives for two and a half months."

She nodded. "Give us a stressless time. The baby won't be able to deal with stress."

"Camera rolling in 10, 9, 8..."

"Get ready. This is our last time before September," Fione said, grabbing my hand.

The cameraman signalled us to start. "Good morning Panem!" I say. "The third minigame is now over. What a morning we've had."

"Ogilby Hayes, from District 11," Fione said. "Killed two tributes last night. Today, he was responsible for the death of Gauis Jistance. Gauis saved Orchid's life."

"Ogilby was shortly killed after by Persei Chamomile," I say. "Arlu broke Ogilby's neck and Persei shot Ogilby with a crossbow."

"The tributes then refused to kill each other," Fione said, her face lighting up slightly. "The second Capitol Catch option had to be brought in."

"Persei tried to save Orchid, but the 12-year-old from District 11 was stuck in the sand. He asked to be shot. He didn't want to drown," I say, remembering the way he pleaded to be killed. "Persei shot him out of his misery."

"So, District 3 have two victors and District 11 has one victor. Congratulations," Fione says.

"We'll be back in mid-September. Goodbye for now Panem!" I yell, forcing a smile.

The cameras shut off and the two of us sigh with relief. Until we see the President.

Ranunculus Ammon stood in the doorway of the recording studio. "You two, come with me."

We followed him into Fione's trailer. He locked the door and grinned sadistically.

"Whatever you do, don't hurt Fione. She's pregnant," I beg.

The President slapped me across the face. I stumbled back, surprised. "I'll do what I want."

He kicked Fione in the leg before punching her in the face. He turned to me with a knife in his hand.

"No!" Fione yelled.

The President turned around and pushed her back. She tripped, knocked her head on the edge of her dresser and fell unconscious.

I groaned as the President jammed the knife into my gut. "You have one job, and you can't even do that right."

He ran out of the trailer before I could say anything. Not that there is anything to say.

I screamed in pain, praying someone would come and help me. Help Fione. Help the baby.

Instead, I watched the ceiling above me swirl and blur until my vision became black and my mind became blank.