Chapter 8 - First Night at the Capitol

ZAK WHITE'S P.O.V

My stylist, Magness, striped me of the white fluff balls around my neck. God, they made me itch. I hope I have the Capitol a good show. I'm not the strongest Career, I need sponsors.

"Good job Zak!" Magness said, "the Capitol were screaming your name. They probably understood the surname and colour relation." I nodded. Wasn't it obvious?

Velorum came over and tapped me on the shoulder. He stole the show, well, until Chester came along. Chester looked absolutely outstanding. I was actually a little bit jealous that the only one not described as a "Career" was the most popular District 1 tribute.

He is the mayor's son though, maybe that's how he gained his popularity.

"Hey Zak, nice outfit. Loving the glitter," Velorum laughed, brushing his finger along my face. He left a glitter heart on my face. He wrote "I love Vel" on my left arm and drew a flower and more hearts on my right arm, doubling over with laughter.

I wiped some glitter off of my tuxedo and smeared it across his face. The glitter made him sneeze and drop his hammer on the floor.

"Be careful with that!" screamed his stylist. District 1 stylists always seem so...strict. We have no freedom. I could see the other two districts having friendly conversations with their stylists. Ours just yell at us. As long as we give the Capitol a good show, then they don't care about us.

Because of how many of us there are, they're putting four tributes from each District on different floors. Topaz, Chester and Velurom and I are being sent to the second floor whilst Atlus, Roxen, Septimus and Majoris - or the super Careers - were staying on the first floor. Good, I thought. Keep them away from me. Velorum is the only ally I need.
The four of us crammed into the elevator, praising each other's outfits - or what was left of them. Chester pressed the button and the '2' lit up a similar colour to Topaz's dress. We soared up and we were there in no time.

As we stepped out of the elevator, Chester asked if we wanted to watch the recap of the parade. I said yes and the others agreed.

Velorum threw himself onto the sofa. I copied him while Topaz and Chester sat down like civilised citizens. I pressed the power button and the TV flickered on.

"Isn't that what Roxen wore to the Reaping?" "What was Atlus wearing?" "Pomeline's gun stunt was really cool. She'll get a handful of sponsors." "Tansy's outfit was horrendous." "Wow, Alisma's outfit is strange." "Ovid's raking in the crowd. Clever." "Ivory's outfit is creative."

We talked as Phillipe Honeyman and his co-presenter, Fione Lickprivick, announced things to do with training. "For the first time, the training will be filmed up until the private session," Phillipe announced. I just knew the Capitol citizens were screaming with excitement. I heard Chester groan. The pressure is on.

I got up out of my seat and headed to my allocated room. Second on the left. I opened the door and gasped. This room is bigger than my kitchen and living room put together, and I'm from District 1.

I jumped on the bed the way I jumped on the sofa a little while ago. I bounced pretty high and laughed. Someone knocked on the door.

I opened the door to find Magnolia. "If you want food, you can have a late night supper. It starts in 15 minutes. If you're coming, meet us on the first floor. You'll be sent to bed straight after. You'll need energy for training." She stated. I agreed to join them all for dinner.

I changed out of my glittery mess. Watching the replay of the parade, I realised how stupid I looked. I knew that was the kind of style the Capitol loved and will probably wear after the Games are over, but I looked a bit ridiculous nevertheless.

I was just pulling on a pair of combat trousers when someone else knocked on my door. I grabbed a random shirt and went to the door.

I opened it and Topaz was there. Embarrassed, I pulled on the shirt in my hand. "Hi," I mumbled, "you going to dinner?"

"Yeah, I came to see if you were coming to dinner," she smiled back. My cheeks turned red she came to see me? She's the prettiest girl I know. At least two other Careers like her, and she came to see me?

"We'll then ma'am, would you like to come with me?" I chuckled nervously, holding out my hand. She giggled shyly and held my hand.

ROXEN REDPATH'S P.O.V

I sat silently at the table with the other tributes. Velorum was on my left and Septimus was on my right. Septimus had become my main ally. He was very wise and extremely strong. He wasn't all about fighting - he actually had tactics.

"Listen," he said to me just before dinner, "you're an incredibly strong girl with a lot of talent. Your use of a dagger is excellent. However, there's something wrong."

"What?" I questioned, unsure if he was going to be rude.

"You're too violent. See, the key to survival is strategy. I say when the Careers branch off, we team up. I'm a longer range person. I can throw swords and stab up close. You have more physical strength than me, but I believe my knowledge and information about many things can help."

I shrugged, kind of insulted, however, I would rather team with an intelligent, strong person than a arrogant guy like Majoris.

"Most districts don't have the power to take the Cornucopia," Septimus continued. "We all know Careers turn on each other for good show in the final stages. Other Districts will go to the survival stations. How to make shelter. How to find water. How to hunt. I think if we learn the skills, we will do better than the others."

"I trust you," I said, "and I admire your wisdom, not gonna lie. I'm happy to team on one condition." I said. Septimus quietly nodded, indicating for me to tell. "If I die before you, please send a request for my weapon, most likely a dagger, to be send to my mum. A token of my appreciation for paying for all of those academy fees I couldn't afford myself."

Septimus said he would put the request in and tell the gamemakers. Now we're sticking together. I want to team with Velorum and Zak too, but if I had to choose one ally, Septimus would be my choice.

I noticed Majoris glaring at Zak. I know that Majoris likes Topaz. Zak and Topaz came into our apartment holding hands and giggling. Maybe they have a thing going on.

Avoxes came in with a bunch of dishes. The amount the Capitol has though! I heard at the President's house on the victory tour, over 1000 huge dishes are laid on tables. I don't eat that much in a year. District 12 probably don't have that much food in their lifetime!

"Eat up guys," Magnolia chirped, "you guys need to gain as much weight as possible in the arena." Majoris carried on glaring at Zak. Most people dug into the food, however, Septimus just shook his head. "What's wrong Sep, is the food not okay?" Magnolia asked.

"Actually, eating excessively does not improve your performance. It actually makes you worse. You have to gain the right weight, eating in moderation and exercising efficiently. Eating platefuls of groosling won't make you healthier. You want to balance your meal."

Saying this, Septimus took a slice of spiced groosling, cheesy mashed potato and covered it in a gravy with vegetable bits in. Like he said, balanced and healthy. Once again, his wisdom overpowered us all again.

"Shut up you nerd," Majoris screamed at Septimus, "No one cares about your stupid facts. Just eat the bloody food."

I rose from my seat. "You shut up Majoris. I know what this mood is about. It's because Topaz would choose a sweet and funny guy over a cocky twat like you!" I bellowed.

Majoris threw his plate on the floor, bits flying up. One shard hit Chester just above the eyebrow. He didn't say anything. Instead he just ate another forkful of the beautiful duck on his plate. I had it too. The sweet flavour bursts in your mouth, contrasting nicely with the savoury taste of the meat.

Majoris threw his chair. He can't deny I was right. He went to leave when a knife flew in his direction. His shirt was pierced as the knife pinned him up against the wall. We all stared at Chester, the only one who can throw knives like that. Chester rocked on his chair.

"I am not liking your behaviour, Mister Baxwoll," Chester said in a patronising tone, "you put one more glass shard in my body and I'll shove a knife right through your throat." Chester got up, wiped his mouth and handed the plate to the Avox before leaving the apartment, blood trickling down his face. Zak and Topaz left as well, feeling uncomfortable with Majoris staring them down.

Velorum stayed a little while longer, taking his time to eat. He and Septimus shared diet tips for the arena. I learnt from Velorum that if you take one bite of food, drink a glass of water, wait for a few minutes and repeat, you will feel full. It'll be all water. You'll be hydrated and healthy and still feel satisfied.

Majoris had been escorted to his room to be calmed down by Magnolia. If he lays a finger on her, she'll get him immediately killed in the games. An Avox had been sent to help Chester's wound. Atlus went to visit Majoris.

Velorum left, leaving me and Septimus alone. Before I even knew what I was doing, I leant in and kissed him. "I promise I'll do everything in my power to protect you. You're too precious to die." I said.

Septimus smiled and kissed me back.

MAXWELL PAISLEY'S P.O.V

I heard a scream from the room next to me. A male scream. It wasnt Jed though. Jed and I requested a room with two beds. I slipped out of the room as silently as possible, trying not to wake Jed. I didn't want him to worry about me. He worries too much.

Quietly, I edged along the corridor. I knew Yarrow was on our floor, but her room was further up. Besides, it was definitely a male scream. I don't know who else is on our floor - I spent the entire night in my room talking with Jed.

I knocked on the door. A tiny whisper allowed me to enter. As I tiptoed into the room, I saw Yohan curled up in a ball, sobbing. I walked over to him and sat on the edge of his bed.

"Hey, hey," I said, patting his shoulder, "what's up?"

I pulled him into a reassuring hug. He sobbed loudly on my shoulder. He's in my grade at school. All the girls love him. He's always picked first for team sports. Everyone wants to be his best friend. He always looked so strong: I never imagined to see him like this.

"I thought I heard my family. They were being tortured by the Capitol. Then they took Ivory." He pulled away from my sodden shoulder and sniffed. "I have 6 siblings and my mum. My dad died by being 'accidentally' run over by a combine harvester in the fields. He was in my dreams too."

"Accidentally?" I questioned.

"The Capitol hates him for his best friend's victory in the Hunger Games as a kid. He saved up all of his money to sponsor him a shovel. It was a snowy arena and it was impossible to walk in all the snow. He dug into the arena, discovering torture cells beneath the arena. Several gamemakers and criminals were there," Yohan explained. "My dad's friend was tortured in the exact cell he dug to and my dad was in the cell opposite him, so they got to watch each other scream with pain."

"My dad became a cripple due to the pain he received. It damaged the cells and nerves in his back and legs. 20 years later, he got a job in the fields. He was checking to see if the grain was ready to be harvested, and the machine destroyed him."

I patted his back. The poor guy. All his dad did was sponsor his best friend a shovel in a winter biome. No one knew what the outcome would be.

I comforted him for a bit longer, sat by him as he curled back up in a ball. As I got up to leave, he whispered to me. "Please don't leave me. Stay with me."

"I'll just go and tell Jed where I am. He deserves to know I'm okay," I replied. He nodded, allowing me to leave for a minute. I walked along the corridor, but froze outside of my room.

Low murmurs. Giggling. What was Jed doing?

I opened to door to find Jed with Yarrow underneath him. That is wrong on so many levels. There's a 4 year age difference!

Disgusted, I headed back to Yohan's room. I felt betrayed. He didn't bother to look for me, after promising to protect me. Instead, he was on top of a 14-year-old criminal.

"You're back!" Yohan exclaimed quietly, "you tell him?"

I gulped. "I don't think Jed will be needing me around anymore," I replied before it was my turn to burst into tears.