Chapter 37 - District 3 Reapings

GAUIS JISTANCE'S P.O.V

I sat with my best friend, Bramble, in my dad's study room, looking at a book we had found.

It's been two and a half months some the last games where Phoxus, Spikelet and Rupilia won. It's weird to think that today, eight of District 3's citizens are going to be reaped. Most likely gone forever.

District 3 hasn't had a winner since the 479th Games, where an awesome guy named Taemin won. He's a cool guy - he often comes to the school to help out with sporting activities.

"Hey, Gauis, what do you think our chances are of being reaped today?" Bramble asked.

"High," I said. "I have a lot of tesserae to collect, so my chances are slim. I'm lucky my birthday isn't until after reaping," I chuckled slightly, trying to lighten the mood, "imagine if my birthday was today!"

"Isn't it considered bad luck to have your birthday today?" Bramble asked.

"According to myths, yeah," I replied.

Bramble is recovering from a brain injury. A few years ago, he was electrocuted by a terrible explosion and parts of his brain stopped responding.

During this time, all his other friends left him. I stuck by him and helped him recover as best as I could. It's only been a few months where he's learnt to talk again.

After watching the 2nd minigame, he tried harder than ever to recover. Muscida inspired him to try and speak. Lawson encouraged him to move his limbs. He knows how valuable his life is. He cherishes it everyday, knowing it was almost taken away in the space of 10 seconds.

"D-do you want me to go?" He asked, smiling his goofy smile.

"I don't mind," I said. "You do need to get ready for the reaping though. Shall I go to your house and get your outfit?"

He nodded. "Plea-ease," he stuttered.

I ran out of the house, leaving him in the study to look at the books. His house isn't far in a jog. Well, for me. It seems like it's 20 miles away for Bramble.

His brain was damaged really badly in important areas. He couldn't walk for almost a year at first. He only got rid of the crutches he had about half a year ago.

I knocked on the blue door, peering through the blurred glass.

"Hey Gauis," Bramble's mum chirped. She's lovely. I could smell cookies. She's a great baker - she sometimes bakes and sends in her food when the bakery is suffering slightly, which is normally around the start of a month before the tesserae is handed out.

"Hey," I smiled back. "I came to collect Bramble's reaping clothes. I suggested he stayed at my house, seeing as it's closer to the town square."

"How thoughtful," she laughed. "I'll fetch his clothes and come with you to say goodbye to my son for now."

She ran off into the house. The smell of cookies was getting stronger. She came back to the doorway after a while. "Here are his clothes. Let me just turn my baking off," she smiled, running into the kitchen.

I would love a cookie right now. The hot chocolate melting on my tongue and soothing my throat. My mouth watered at the thought.

We walked in silence to my house, both of us clutching half of Bramble's clothing. I had the shirt and shoes. She had the trousers and the tie.

"I'm home," I yelled as I barged into my own home. Bramble came walking out, cuddling his mum.

We handed him his reaping clothes and he went into the bathroom to change. Changing is a new achievement for him.

I changed into my own outfit. I wore a blue button up shirt, black suit trousers and a black bow tie.

I came out and Bramble was smiling, proud he had tied his own tie. Bless him. "Let's go!" He smiled, skipping wobbly to the door.

ARLU FENUGREEK'S P.O.V

I ran into the town square, scared I was late. I don't want the Peacekeepers to whip me.

I filed in the smallest queue for the blood taking. The needle stabbed my finger, drawing me of my blood and my life.

Then I saw Auricula. The prettiest girl I know. She was holding hands with her 12-year-old brother Cosmo. He looked petrified.

Auricula caught me staring. She smiled shyly and waved at me. I waved back, blushing. She's the only person who makes me blush.

She's 17. Her name is in for tesserae I think, making her in more times than me. I live on my own. My parents aren't around. I have no one.

I may as well enter the games. What have I got to lose? I have no family or friends. No one loves me.

I stood with all of the other 18-year-olds. I folded my arms and glared at the people around me. I am nothing to them. They are nothing to me.

Our escort, Arahoni, started his rant about the Dark Days and the rebellion and all that rubbish.

I looked around, trying to look for competitions. District 3 rarely has volunteers. Most people in this district are weaklings who spend hours on their gizmos.

I noticed Cosmo shaking slightly. Bless him.

"And now the time has come to select 8 courageous tributes. First up," Arahoni danced around on the stage. He grabbed one of the pieces if paper and pulled the seal off of the paper.

"Billee Washam!" Who? Never heard of the kid. He walked up from the 12-year-old section, shaking and screaming.

Arahoni patted his head before sticking his slender fingers back into the bowl to predict another death.

"Gauis Jistance!"

Gauis looked strong. He stepped out of the 14-year-old pen and strolled up the stage as if he wasn't fazed. I saw him shoot a look at Bramble, a little kid in recovery from an explosion.

I was a part of that explosion. I got away lucky. I have a series of scars on my body though. The best one is the scar of a lightning bolt under my eye.

There were only 3 survivors.

"Theta Herriot!"

A 15-year-old girl stepped out of her pen, prising her friends' fingers off of her wrist. She kept checking behind her, as if something was about to kill her.

Give it a week and checking behind her could save her life.

"Marius Fo-"

"No!" A girl screamed. "I volunteer. Don't hurt Marius!"

A girl from the 16-year-old pen started sprinting towards the shaking 13-year-old. The girl patted his head.

"Hello," Arahoni squealed. "What's your name?"

"Mizar Rabbledeen," she breathed out, shaking slightly.

"What was your relation to that boy?" He laughed.

"He's been through too much. He has a prosthetic leg and he's missing half of his arm. He is already a sole survivor." She said.

Marius was the other boy who survived with Bramble and I. I got off lucky compared to the other two.

"Yasmin Hodge!"

Wait, Mizar wasn't getting any praise for volunteering? She deserves to be rewarded, sparing Maruis' life.

Yasmin, a 13-year-old, had to be dragged to the stage. She looked so malnourished and ill.

"Cosmo Colbee,"

No, not Cosmo.

"I volunteer," I said. I walked up to the stage and patted a crying Cosmo on the back. "I'm not letting you die," I whispered in his ear.

I walked up to the stage, slightly terrified of my actions. I can't wait to face the consequence. Death.

"What's your name?" Arahoni smiled. He's disgusting. I hate the Capitol.

"Arlu Fenugreek." It was a short, sharp reply.

"What is your relation to Cosmo?"

I shrugged. "He just doesn't deserve to die."

I saw Auricula smile at me, a year in her eye. My stomach flipped.

"Auricula Colbee. Wait, what?" Arahoni looked shocked.

The smile on Auricula's face faded. She walked up to the stage and immediately walked up to me.

"Thank you saving Colbee's life," she whispered, trying not to cry. I pulled her into a hug, but didnt say anything back.

"Our last tribute is Bramble Selkirk."

Gauis jumped off of the stage. I let go of Auricula and went to help him. Gauis recognised my scar and let me help.

The two of us hauled a confused Bramble to the stage.

"Someone volunteer," a lady - most likely his mum - yelled.

It was silent. No one would volunteer for the brain damaged boy.

"Our tributes: Billee, Gauis, Theta, Mizar, Yasmin, Arlu, Auricula and Bramble. "

No one clapped. The three-finger sign - famous from the Mockingjay rebellion - was signalled throughout the district. For Bramble.

We were dragged off by Peacekeepers before anyone could make another move.