Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

"The time of my life?" I ask him doubtfully.

"Yup!" he exclaims with a smile.

"Where are we going?" I sigh as we exit the elevator.

"It's a surprise," he says with a smile.

"I hate surprises," I deadpan.

He gives me a look before playfully saying, "Just shut up and go with it okay?"

I glare at him and roll my eyes before nodding in agreement, "Okay."

We walk over to his bike and he hands me a helmet. I roll my eyes at him and pull the helmet on.

"I'm driving," I say and hold my hand out for the keys.

"In your dreams Carson," he says and smiles at me before pulling his own helmet on.

He climbs on to the bike and when I don't move, he looks back at me.

"Are you coming or not?" he asks me.

For a long time, I stand there, contemplating whether or not to get on the bike and finally, I do.

"Let's go," I mumble and he revs the engine.

"You might want to hold on," he says to me and gently pulls my arms around his waist.

I reluctantly hold onto him as we pull away from the sidewalk and shoot down the street. A few minutes later we pull up to a lot filled with lights, people, rides, candy, bells, kettle corn and so much more. I get off the bike and pull my helmet off to take in the sight of a carnival. I admire all the beautiful lights before looking at Roy.

"A carnival?" I ask him.

"Why not?" he responds and smiles at me before walking towards it.

I scoff and follow after him. He smiles and I can't help but return the smile as he takes my hand, sending jolts of electricity through my body, and pulls me towards the carnival. The first thing he does is drag me into the haunted house, which much to my displeasure, scares the crap out of me. As we turn the corner, someone dressed in a zombie costume jumps out in front of us and I quickly punch out, my reflexes kicking in. He grabs his nose in pain and I quickly look to Roy in horror who is busy laughing his ass off. I smack his arm and quickly kneel beside the "zombie" who is on the ground clutching his nose.

"Oh my god! I am so sorry!" I exclaim and reach towards him.

He scoots away from me and scrambles to get up.

"Just stay away from me!" he yells before running off.

I turn to look at Roy with a guilty expression to see him still laughing hysterically. I glare at him but he simply continues to laugh. I walk over to him and smack his arm again.

"That was not funny!" I exclaim and punch his shoulder.

He grips his shoulder, feigning pain before he gasps out between his laughs, "It was kind of funny,"

I glare at him but his laughter eventually gets to me and a small smile finds its way to my face.

"Maybe a little bit," I mumble, barely loud enough for him to hear.

He smiles triumphantly just as someone screams behind me, "BOO!"

I leap forward crashing into Roy in freight. Normally, with my League training as well as my experience from the island, I would have been able to sense the person sneaking up on me but, the strobing lights and fog in the haunted house were throwing me off. Roy catches me and stumbles back a few steps before regaining his balance. I keep my head against his chest and my hands on his biceps as I take a deep breath. May I just note, he smelled amazing and his biceps were wow, just wow. I breathe in and out for a few moments, trying to calm my racing heartbeat before slowly raising my head. My eyes meet his and the heartbeat I had just calmed immediately begins to beat erratically once more at the amused smile resting on his face. He gazes down at me, even in strobe lights and fake fog he still looked incredible. We hold each others gazes, his eyes glancing down at my lips before retreating to my eyes. He gently tucks my hair behind my ear and his hand briefly lingers on my cheek before he pulls it back.