Chapter 14

I was nervous and excited all at the same time.  I was nervous because I had no idea what I was going to do while Dylan was at work but I was excited to be with him.  I talked with the other ladies at dinner last night and they told me things that will take care of morning sickness and that I needed to make sure to sign up for birthing classes.  I made notes and they reminded me to take it easy and if I had to fight to use all the upper body strength that I had.  I finished packing my bag when Dylan came in. 

“You ready to go?” He asked with a smile.  “Yup, I’m all packed.  Good thing I went shopping with Suzie.” I smiled.  “Your Dad and Suzie are here to take us to the airport.” He said picking up our suitcases.  I followed behind him.  We climbed in the car and drove to the airport quietly.  It was a long and awkward car ride.  “Why are we leaving so early?”  I asked realizing that our flight wasn’t until later this afternoon.  “Well, you see wehavetogetmarried.” Dylan said quickly.  “Excuse me?” I said.  “We have to get married.” He said again.  “Why is this?” I was ticked.

“Elle, I just told Dylan the other day.  I need a marriage certificate and I think you both need to be married before your child arrives anyway.” My Dad spoke up.  “When were you going to tell me this?” I asked them.  “I should have told you as soon as I found out.” Dylan said lowly.  “Whatever.” I grumbled.  I was glad that I decided to take the time to get ready this morning and not just throw on my comfy clothes.  My Dad pulled up in front of city hall.  “Let’s get this over with.” I grumbled walking up to the building.

The walls were a puke yellow color and they still had shag carpet in the offices.  The building looked like it straight out of a 70’s magazine.  There was a musty smell that enveloped you when you walked in.  I wrinkled my nose.  “This place smells.” I whined.  Dylan rolled his eyes and pulled me into an office.  “Hello. How may I help you?” The stout lady behind the counter greeted.  “We are here to get married.” Dylan beamed.  “Fill these out.” She handed a clipboard to the both of us. We sat down in the yellow plastic chairs and began to fill out the paperwork.

An hour later we were leaving City Hall as Mr. and Mrs. Dylan Duke.  Well actually in Germany we were going to be Mr. and Mrs. Dylan Miller.  “Thanks for not making a huge scene.” My Dad said.  I rolled my eyes and got into the car.  The only good thing that came out of it was the addition to my ring.  I admired it as it sparkled around my engagement ring.  “Here we are.” My Dad said pulling in front of the airport.  I stepped out and tears started to fall.

Standing at the back of the car I hugged Suzie tightly.  “I’m going to call you as soon as we land and then we will set up our Skype dates.” I said kissing her forehead.  I turned to my Dad and saw the tears that were welling in his eyes.  I hugged him and felt him hug me back tightly.  “I love you Dad.  Make sure that Suzie teaches you how to use that Skype and your email so I can send you pictures.” I said as he wiped away my tears.  “Elle, you better send me pictures.  Dylan will take very good care of you. I know how much he loves you.  When you get home we will have a proper wedding for you.” He chuckled.  “Damn right.” I said smiling. I looked over my shoulder and saw Dylan waiting patiently for me.  I began to walk away and saw Suzie run past me to Dylan.  She latched onto him like a monkey.  “You better keep in contact with me!  I’m going to miss you Dylan!” She said kissing him on his cheek.  My Dad pulled her off of him.  “Call us when you land.  Love you.” He smiled at us.  Dylan took my hand and led me into the airport.

Standing in the line for the security check point I rested my head on Dylan’s shoulder.  “Are you nervous?” I asked him.  “Not when I have you with me.” He kissed the top of my head.  I let out a sigh.  Finally, we reached the front of the line and noticed that the guards working were the same ones that were when we went to London.  “Elle?  I thought your name was Megs.” He raised his eyebrows at me.  “Girl has to have an alter ego.” I smirked.  He chuckled and waved us through.  Dylan wasn’t hassled this time.  The workers smiled at us and didn’t say a word.  Life as I knew it was changing.