Chapter 2

Copyright © 2011 Noel Elizabeth

I smiled at him.  “You really don’t know?” I asked him.  “No, now why is my name on your tattoo?” He asked again.  “That is something you’re going to have to ask Jason.  I can’t tell you that.”  I explained.  He narrowed his eyes at me.  “Why are you here?” He asked.  “I was in a compromising situation.  Jason sent me to you because you were the closest to my location.” I explained.  He nodded.  “Very well, there is one open room on the right.  You can stay there.  How long are you going to be with us?” He asked showing me to the room.  “I’m not sure.  Jason said that he would meet me here as soon as he could.  What time does school start?” I asked him.  He stopped and looked at me with confusion.  “How old are you?” He asked.  “I’m 18.  I graduated last year but I’m looking for someone that may still be in high school.” I shrugged.  “School starts at 8, we leave here at 7.  We can go to the office in the morning and let them know who you are.”  He said opening the door.  “What is your name?” I looked at him.  “Jason didn’t tell you my name?” I was confused.  “No, he said that a girl was going to need a place to stay for a short while.  I guess he’s deciding to let you choose what name you give me.” He looked me up and down.  “My name is,” I paused wondering if I give him my real name or a code name. “Elle.” I finished.  “Well, Elle.  If you’re hungry the kitchen is this way.” He said leading me to the kitchen.  The girl from the door was in the kitchen talking with a few other guys.  She grinned at me.

“Elle, this is Sarah, Luke, Adam and Ryan.” He said pointing to the people in the kitchen.  “Guys, this is Elle.  She is going to stay with us for a little bit.  She is also going to school with us, but she is like me.  Only there to make sure nothing goes wrong and she is there looking for someone.” He explained.  “Awesome.  We are all seniors so you might see us in some of your classes.  Are you hungry?” Sarah smiled at me.  “Actually, I am.” I said moving towards her.  “No, sit down.  I was just going to make a grilled cheese, so I’ll make you one too.” She smiled and went about making the grilled cheeses.  I looked around and noticed that all the guys were staring.  “You are THE Elle.” Luke said.  I gave him a confused look.  “Would you stand up and twirl?” Adam asked.  I titled my head at him.  “Please.” Ryan added.  I smirked and twirled slowly for them.  “Oh. My. Word. It is you!” Adam said excitedly.  “It’s the hazel eyes with the flecks of gold in your eyes that are the tell.” Luke said staring into my eyes.  “Then your amazing body,” his eyes wandered down my body.  “And finally, we come to your graceful movements.” He said returning his eyes to mine.  “If you’re Elle, then where is your mother Jasmine?” Dylan finally spoke up.  I looked him in the eyes, “She’s dead.” I stated.  There was a collective gasp and Dylan’s eyes went wide.  “How?” He asked.  “I’m not ready to talk about it, plus I’ve just met you.  I don’t trust you that well.” I explained.  They all nodded their heads and Sarah slid me a plate.  “Thank you.” I almost whispered. 

“When you’re done just leave your plate.  Mary comes in to do the dishes and make lunches for all the kids.” Dylan explained.  I nodded my head.  “Good night.  You guys should go to bed as well.” He told them.  They all nodded again and he left the kitchen followed by Luke, Adam and Ryan.  “So, I think I know but I’ll leave it because it must have just happened.” She started to say.  My eyes grew wide and looked at her with wonder.  “I know the look, I’ve only had to kill once and it was my father.  No good bastard was beating my mother and he came after me.  I wasn’t going to take it and I ended up killing him.  My mother sent me back to the foster home but Jason came and adopted me.” She told me her story.  “How did you cope with it?” I asked her.  “One day at a time, my room is three doors down from you.  My door is open for you if you find yourself reliving the moment in the middle of the night.” She said giving me a hug and leaving me in the kitchen by myself.  I felt dampness on my cheek and then I realized that I was crying.  This is the first time that I actually have cried in a really long time.  I put my head down and let the tears flow, I knew I was alone and I was in a safe place.  A few minutes later I felt a hand on my back.  I jerked up and quickly wiped my face.  “It’s alright you don’t have to stop crying.” Dylan said rubbing my back.  I felt the tears coming again and I placed my head in my hands and let the tears continue to fall.  “I lost my mom as well.  Well, she isn’t dead she’s just banished.” He said.  “I know, our mothers were close.” I said between the sobs.  “You knew my mom?” He was shocked.  “Yes, I saw her a week ago.  She is doing just fine.  Where she is no one knows about her or who she is.  She always asks about you and I think once my mom was able to give her a picture of you.  I can take you to see her if you want.” I suggested.  “I can’t see her.” His words were filled with hurt.  “When you’re ready, let me know.” I said getting up and walking out of the kitchen to my room.