Chapter 11

Elle’s POV

I woke up and Dylan was missing but there was a note on the pillow.  ‘Love, I had to leave this morning to take care of some things.  I’m sorry that our day together was ruined.  I will see you tonight. –Dylan’ I smiled at his words but it was alright because I was seeing my Dad today.  I got dressed and called him.

“Hello?” My Dad answered.  “Hi Dad, I was wondering if you wanted to spend the day with me.” I was hopeful.  “I would love that Ellie-bean.” He used my nickname.  “I’ll see you when you’re ready.” I told him.  “See you in a few then.” He chuckled and hung up.  I was sitting in the kitchen when Sarah walked in.  “Hey.” I smiled at her.  “Hi.” She smiled back.  “You know, we haven’t spent a lot of time together since I first got here.  I would really like to have a girl’s night or something.” I suggested.  Her face lit up.  “I would love that.  I’ll set it up.  I’ll see if Sylvia wants to join us too.” She smiled running out of the room.  There was a knock at the door.

“Hello Ellie-bean!” My Dad smiled.  “Hi Dad!” I hugged him.  It was a long time since I last saw my Dad.  “Let’s go get something to eat.” He suggested.  “That sounds wonderful.  It’s been awhile since it’s been the two of us.” I smiled at my Dad.  He was a great man and I know that he was out of my life for the past 12 years but he had his reasons and I now knew them.  I used to be angry with him but I let go of my anger when he explained it all to me.

“Elle, we need to talk about your mother.” He said the words that I was really dreading to hear.  “Alright, I guess it is time that we did have that talk.” I said softly.  “Your mother was a wonderful woman but for the past 12 years she cut herself off from everyone.  The only way I knew that you were alright was because you were still in contact with Jason.  I wanted to know where you were at all times, I wanted to know that you were safe but she pulled away from us and I feared you were in danger.” He looked at me.  “Dad, I noticed her change.  I kept in contact with Jason only so that someone knew that I was still alive.  She started to sneak around and I pretended not to notice.  I stayed busy with my school work.  When she came home she was grill me about what I did and if anyone called.  One night I followed her and saw that she was with Elliot.  They were closer than they should have been.  I started to piece together what was going on.  Then one morning I heard her on the phone.  She was going to tell him everything about us.  That was the day that she died.” I lowered my head and quickly wiped away my tears.  “Honey, don’t hide your tears.  I miss her as well but she was your mother and what you did was hard enough.  You have to forget who she was to you and see that you did what you had to.  At that point she was no longer your mother.” He grabbed my hand.  “I know, it’s just hard.” I cried.

“Let’s go do something fun.  Do you like bowling?” He asked me.  I smiled like a fool.  “I love bowling!” I jumped up and down.  He chuckled at me and we walked over to the bowling alley.  We were bowling and having a good time when I heard a familiar chuckle from a few lanes over.  I turned my head and my heart broke.  There in front of me was Dylan with another girl.  She was hanging on him and he clung to her just as tight.  “Elle?” I heard my Dad’s voice from behind me.  He followed my gaze and saw what was in front of me.  “DYLAN!” My dad yelled.  His head snapped in our direction and I tried to run but my Dad held me in place.  Dylan’s eyes went wide and the girl glared at me.  I turned away from him and clung to my Dad.  He rubbed my back as I cried into his chest.

“Sir, I can explain.” Dylan stammered.  “You better have a damn good reason to be here.  When your fiancé thinks that you’re taking care of things with the association.” He was mad and I could feel him tense.  “I-I-I, well, you see.  Ugh.  Elle, I’m sorry.” He whispered.  “Dad, will you take me home so I can get my things?” I asked him.  “Yes, go put your shoes on.” He pushed me away so that I could put my shoes on.  I never looked back to see Dylan’s face.  I was returning my shoes when I heard my name being called.  “Elle, please.  Don’t leave.” He was pleading.  “Don’t you dare ask me to stay when you have some whore hanging all over you; I guess that I’m not enough for you.” I said pulling my ring off and handing it to him.  His eyes went wide.  “No, no, no, no.  You can’t do this.” He said quickly.  “I didn’t do it.  You did.” I walked away and ended up running to my Dad.  He held on to me and when I didn’t think I could hold myself up any longer my Dad still held on to me.  He carried me to the car and the ride home was silent.