Chapter 9

Dylan’s POV

I woke up underneath Elle; somehow she kicked off all the covers and was spread eagle on the bed.  That explained why only half of my body was warm.  I moved slightly causing her to groan.  I looked at the clock and saw that it was only 3 in the morning.  I was starting to get cold now that I wasn’t fully under Elle, so I got out of bed to get the blankets.  Pulling them up and lightly covering her, I heard a content sigh from her.  I snuggled in closer to her and smiled.  She was talking in her sleep, this was something new.

“I’m sorry.” She was mumbling.  “You don’t have to do this.” I noticed a tear slipping down her cheek.  Was I supposed to wake her up or was I supposed to let her sleep?  I was torn, on one hand I didn’t want to startle her by waking her up but on the other I didn’t want her suffering like this.  “I promise, I’ll tell you what you want.  Just leave Dylan alone.” The tears were streaming down her face now.  My heart was breaking and I knew that I had to hold on to her tighter because this kind of nightmare was real to her.  “No, no, no.  DYLAN!” She screamed my name as she sat up.  Her eyes opened but I noticed that she was still sleeping.  Elle is a sleepwalker and talked in her sleep, oh boy this was going to be interesting.  She started to walk towards the door but it was closed.  Fumbling with the knob she got it opened.  I scrambled after her because I didn’t want her to fall down the stairs.  “It’s this way.” She whispered as she continued to walk into the kitchen.  She stopped in front of the cabinets taking out the cups and putting them on the counter.  “It’s in here.  I need the key.  I promise, just stop hurting Dylan.” She was crying again.

“What’s going on?” Alex asked.  I looked at him and motioned him to be quiet.  “Why is she taking out the cups?” He whispered.  “She’s sleeping.” I whispered to him.  We both stood there watching her.  At this point it was amusing because she took out all the cups and then she took out all the dishes.  When she was done she put the pots and pans where the cups were and the baking dishes where the dishes were.  The cups were put where the baking dishes were and the dishes where the pots and pans were.  “I promise.  I’ll find it.  He hid it on me so I couldn’t open it.  I know it’s in this house.” She whispered as more tears fell down her face.  “Please, stop hurting Dylan.” She whimpered.  I felt so helpless right now; I knew that I couldn’t wake her up.  I watched her as she walked away and ran into the corner of the island.  Falling to the ground she let out a yelp, she hit her stomach on the corner.  I ran to her side and picked her up.

“Dylan?” She asked looking around the kitchen with tears still falling down her face.   “I’ve got you Elle, it’s okay.”   I whispered into her hair.  “What happened?” She was confused.  “You rearranged the cabinets and were talking up a storm.  What were you looking for?” Alex asked.  Elle’s eyes widened when she realized we weren’t alone.  “I heard all the clanking and wanted to find out what was going on.  I stayed when I saw what you were doing.  Can’t wait until the morning when no one can find anything.” He chuckled and left.

“I thought I was going to lose you so I had to find a key to a special room.  I have no idea what kind of key or what the special room is, but they kept hurting you.” She whispered holding on to me tighter.  “Baby, I’m not going anywhere.  There aren’t any hidden keys or special rooms.” I kissed her temple as I placed her back into bed.  “How does your stomach feel?” I asked remembering what brought her out of that trance.  “It’s sore but it’s alright.” She grabbed onto me as I climbed into bed.  “I’m sorry if I woke you up.” She apologized.  “You didn’t, I was up because you kicked all the covers off and then tried to take over the whole bed.” I chuckled.  She was silent.  “Elle?” I whispered.  “Dylan.” She said my name softly.  “I don’t like you going to bed mad at me, especially when I don’t understand what I did wrong.” I admitted.  “I’m sorry I got mad.  I don’t even know why I got mad.  I think I felt like you were mocking me.  Let’s just go to sleep.  You have a big day tomorrow.” She snuggled up next to me and kissed my chest.  “Good night.” I whispered.  She didn’t say anything because she was already asleep.  Sometimes I wish I could fall asleep as fast as she could.  I fell asleep with a huge smile on my face.