Chapter 13

Dylan’s POV

I paced the den waiting for Richard to show up.  There was a knock at the door and I opened it before anyone else could.  “Dylan.” He said gruffly.  “Hello.” I said leading him to the office.  “What is so urgent that you needed to talk to me at 2am?”  He asked referencing the call I made to him last night.  “I can’t do this job.” I told him flatly.  “We all do things that we don’t want to do, you have to do this job.  They specifically asked for you.  It is too late to back out.  I’m guessing that you finally told Elle that you were leaving and she threw a fit.” He smirked.  “No, there is more to it.  Hold on.” I said and called for Elle.  She froze when she saw her Dad sitting in the office.

“What’s going on Dylan?” She asked me trying to hide the fear in her voice.  “Tell your father the good news.” I told her.  Her eyes went wide and looked at me, then looked back at her Dad.  “Elle?” Richard said softly.  “Well, Daddy, umm, you see, you’re going to be a Grandpa!” She smiled and threw her hands up like she just shouted surprise.  “What?!” Richard yelled.  Elle cowered at his tone.  “Is this some kind of joke?” He asked.  “No, it’s true.  I’ve taken three tests and went to the doctor.  I have another appointment this week to find out how far along I am but I’m thinking I’m right around 10 weeks.” She said softly.

Richard stood up and picked Elle up and spun her around.  “Congratulations baby girl!  Your mother would be so proud of you!” He beamed at her.  Elle started to cry.  “Oh, don’t cry.  I didn’t mean to make you sad.” Richard said wiping her tears away.  “I’m just happy.  I’ll let you get back to your meeting.  I already know he’s going to Germany and I’m prepared to be apart from him.  I remember when Mom had that job, it was painful even though I was there I was a secret staying with a friend of hers.  I would rather be apart then have to be a secret.” Elle said firmly.

“What if you lived there so that he could be close to you and the baby?” Richard suggested.  “What do you mean?” I asked him.  “Dylan, I know you don’t want to go now that you found out this information and no matter how strong you are Elle, you will need Dylan more than you realize with your pregnancy.  I remember when your mother told me she was pregnant.  I was over the moon and I was willing to move the earth for her.  I got sent on a job that was far away and I had to leave her behind.  Lucky for us I was only gone for a couple of months, but I know you will be gone for longer than that.  I will find a way for Elle to be part of this job with you.  Pack your bags kiddo, you’re going to Germany.” He smiled at Elle.

“That’s amazing!  Elle, do you want to go with me?” I asked her.  She just smiled at me.  “Dylan, I would follow to the ends of the earth.”  Richard chuckled.  “Young love.” He sighed.  “Dad, will I be able to say good bye to Suzie?” She asked him.  “Of course, both of you come over for dinner tonight.  We have to celebrate!” He smiled and left the house.

“I love you Elle and I would do whatever it took for me to be near to you.  How about from this day forward we no longer keep anything from each other.” I proposed.  “Dylan, I promise not to keep anything from you anymore.  We will talk everything out.  I do have boyfriends in my past but I don’t think that they will be popping up anytime soon.  I don’t really know where they are.” She said thoughtfully.  “You know all of my ex-girlfriends, now.  We will get through this together.” I told her holding her hands.  She smiled at me and looked down at her hand.  “I promise never to take this off ever again, well unless I can’t wear it then, it will go on a necklace.” She smiled at me.  “Let’s go get ready; we have to be at your Dad’s in a few hours.” I told her and led her upstairs.

Hours later we were driving to Elle’s Dad’s house.  “Suzie is a lot to handle but she’s great.” Elle told me as we parked in front of the house.  “Don’t worry.” I squeezed her hand as we knocked on the door.  “ELLE!!!!” We heard from behind the door followed by the pitter patter of her running feet.  The door flew open and Suzie stood there with a huge smile on her face.  “Elle!” She squealed again.  “Dylan, do you see who opened the door?” Elle asked holding back her laughter.  Suzie crossed her arms. “I’m down here!” She yelled.  “Oh my, did you hear that the monkey’s escaped the zoo?” She asked as Suzie jumped on Elle.  I held my breath but she gave me a reassuring look letting me know that she was alright.