Chapter 12

It's short but it is going to lead up to what is going to happen next.  I feel that I can't really break them apart because of all that has happened between them.  Next couple of chapters are going to be more interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elle’s POV

“Have you ever had a feeling that you were being watched?” I asked Dylan as we were out for a run.  “I know that feeling.” He chuckled.  I sighed thinking about how for the past couple of weeks since I’ve been back that someone has been watching me.  Maybe I was just being paranoid but I couldn’t shake that feeling.  “Elle.” I heard Dylan say my name.  “I’m sorry; you were talking to me weren’t you?” I smiled.  “I was, I asked you if you were having that feeling.” When I didn’t respond he stopped running and turned me to face him.  “Elle, do you feel like you’re being watched?” He was serious now.  I just nodded my head.  Dylan wrapped his arms around me and kissed me on the forehead.  “I’ll never let anything happen to you.  I love you.” I held on to him even tighter not wanting to forget this feeling.

We headed back home only the run was completely silent.  Neither of us said anything until we went for the shower. “Go ahead.” He said.  I gave him a puzzled look; usually he was the first to talk about conserving water.  It made me think of how even in bed he was distant.  Today during our run was the first time that he actually touched me.  Something was going on and I wasn’t sure what it was.  “Dylan.  What’s wrong?” I asked nervously.  I didn’t want to know the answer but I needed to hear it.  “What do you mean?” He was caught off guard.  “Did I do something to make you mad?” I felt the tears daring to come.  “No.” He said flatly.  “Do you want to be with me?” I held my breath.  He didn’t say anything for a long time.  It felt like all the air was being sucked out of the room and I could no longer breathe.  His lips were moving but nothing was coming out.  He looked down at his feet instead of looking at me.

“I’ll go.” I finally managed to say.  He didn’t say anything he just walked into the bathroom and closed the door.  I packed all my things and wrote Dylan a quick note.  I couldn’t just leave like this.  I placed the note on his bed side table along with the ring.  Grabbing my bags I threw them into my car and drove.  I didn’t have a clue where I was going I just knew that I had to get out of there.  Pulling into a parking lot, I parked and turned off the car.  I placed my head in my hands and cried.  I cried because I let the one man that was made for me go, I cried because I left behind great friends and I left behind the place I belonged.

Flashback

“Elle! You promised we would have a girls night!” Sarah whined.  “I know, I’m just not in the mood.” I told her.  “Well, Sylvia and I are ready and we can’t start without you.” She said walking over to me.  “Fine.” I sighed and walked with her to Sylvia’s room.

That night we talked about girl things, we talked about boys, we painted our nails, we watching girl movies, we laughed and we cried but mostly we laughed.  It was the first time that I felt like I belonged and I actually had friends.

The next morning, I woke up and brought Dylan breakfast in bed.  “Where were you?” He asked looking at the tray of food.  “Girls night in Sylvia’s room.” I smiled at him.  He wanted me to get along with the girls but he seemed mad that I wasn’t with him last night.  “Did you have fun?” He never looked at me.  “Yes.”  I got up and walked out of the room.  I couldn’t deal with his attitude.  Ever since I came back he was distancing himself from me.

End Flashback

I cried in that parking lot for a good hour.  That’s when I realized I didn’t have anywhere to go.  I wasn’t going to go to my Dad’s because Jill made it clear that I really wasn’t welcome in that house no matter if it was my childhood home.  I wasn’t going to ask Jason because he likes his privacy.  Rose was Dylan’s mother and I couldn’t do that.  Finally, it was decided, I was staying in a hotel tonight.