One

Sara

"Oh my god!" I said when I walked in on my parents doing the nasty. "I didn't know you were home, I was just going to wash your bathroom," I quickly said and turned around and closed the door behind me. I leaned my back against the wall right next to their door trying to get the image out of my head. When I heard someone shuffling around in the room I quickly pushed myself off the wall and started walking away.

"Manners young lady! Didn't we teach you anything you little bitch?" my dad shouted. My anxiety skyrocketed while I picked up my pace; getting away from him as quickly as possible. 

I walked down the stairs and into the kitchen. I grabbed an apple from the counter and took a big bite, savoring the last piece of food I would be having for a while. 

I grabbed my laptop and headed to my bedroom. I checked to see if I had any homework, but I didn't, so I just sat there staring at my empty wall in my empty bedroom.

My dad had always said that "she is better of with nothing because when she moves out she won't have so much crap she needs to pack up," or "that little bitch doesn't need anything. She should be thankful that she lives under a roof and gets free meals!" I never knew what I did to him or why he hated me so much, but I had never really asked either. 

"Where are you?" my dad yelled through the entire house. I think it had been about an hour since I walked into their room and now he was out for his revenge.

"Stop it, Mark, it's not worth it," my mom tried to reason with him. Unlike my dad, my mom actually liked me. I honestly have no idea what she sees in him, but she loves him and can't spend any time away from him without getting all sad and depressing.

"Not worth it?! She saw you naked," he hissed at her. I could tell he was extremely mad just from the tone he was using. For about a minute I considered jumping out the window. It wasn't a very big jump and I wouldn't get too injured if I were to fall at a weird angle. I could hear him storming up the stairs and made a quick decision that today was the day I would run away. I got up and opened my window right when he opened my door. I looked back at them and saw that my dad was wearing some boxers. My mom was wearing her bathrobe and was shaking her head attempting to tell me not to jump.

I buried the thought in the bottom of my head and jumped. I hit the ground hard and at the worst angle I possibly could have, but I quickly got up and ran as fast and far away as I could. I could hear my mom screaming for me to come back, and my dad shouting, "You filthy little bitch! I wish I never contributed to giving birth to you!" I pushed my hair out of my face and chose to ignore what he said. 

I dug my phone out of my pocket and called my best friend, Hanna. 

"Oh, hi Sara," she said when she finally answered, "Is everything ok?"

"Can you come pick me up?" I asked and tried not to sound out of breath from running. 

"Yeah, where are you?" she asked. I could hear her grabbing her keys. 

"I'm at the Super Target we went to when we bought half the stuff at the store, then returned it all the next day," I said. 

"OK, be there in 5," she said and hung up. By the time I got to the store, she was already waiting for me. She saw me and came running. "Did you just walk here?"

"What? No, that would take forever," I said in a matter of factly way, then finished with; "I ran."

"You ran eight fucking miles?!" she yelled in shock.

"Ya, what's the big deal?" I asked as I shrugged and stretched my arms.

"Uhh, I don't know?! You could have driven."

"Not an option."

"Did your dad take your car?"

"No, he's just being himself," I simply said without thinking about it too much.

"Oh my god," she said and gave me a bid long hug. "I am so so so sorry. What did he do this time?"

"Oh, he just screamed at me for walking in on him and my mom," I said as she let go of me. "No big deal, he does that every day. You should be asking what I did instead ya know."

"Okay... what did you do then?" she said skeptically.

"Jumped out of my freaking window when he came into my room shortly after," I laughed.

"Why the hell would you jump? You're on the second floor for Christ's sake!" she paused for a minute collecting her thoughts, then followed with "why don't we get some candy and ice cream and go over to my house? You can stay for as long as you want," she said and we started walking towards the store. We bought a variety of candy and two tubs of ice cream.

***

"Hi Sara," Hanna's mom, Wendy, said.

"Hi, Mrs. Scotch," I said and tried to look like everything was great. I have gotten pretty good at that now, and lying, so she didn't suspect a thing.

"Dinner will be ready in thirty minutes!" she shouted as we started walking up to Hanna's room.

"Ok. Thank you," Hanna shouted and we closed the bedroom door. "So, what should we do?"

"You're asking me?" I said in disbelief. She never, and I mean NEVER, lets anyone decide what we are going to do.

That's the thing I love about her, I never have to come up with ideas for what to do. "Oh, I got it!" she said and jumped up. She grabbed my arm and we rushed downstairs.

"What are we doing?" I asked her as she was rushing around the kitchen opening cabinets and drawers.

"We, my friend, are baking all the sweets you like. Muffins, brownies, cookies, bread, and caramels!" she said. I could hear the excitement in her voice.

"So I am guessing you are not going to eat a lot when I make dinner?" Mrs. scotch said and laughed a little.

"Oh, well we are not going to have everything tonight, we are saving it for her entire stay," Hanna said with a sparkle in her eye.

"Oh, how long are you staying, Sara?" Mrs. Scotch asked and looked up at me.

"Umm, I don't know yet. My parents said I could stay here as long as I wanted, so I might stay for a week or two, if that's ok, of course," I said.

"You can stay as long as you wish," she ensured me.

"Thank you!" I said and we started baking.